Zenith IQB27FW
Description: 27-inch flat tube TV

Submitted by LARR GREEN a

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
ROTTEN TV. picture in picture never worked. Two years after purchased, TV
picture tube was out. At a cost higher
than the TV. NO THANKS.

Submitted by Jason Schmidtgall a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
Wow! I found this TV marked down from $629 to $350. I was actually looking for a 32-35' but I couldn't pass this up. Once I lugged the thing home and hooked it up I wasn't impressed. Although, after 10-15 hours of watching(not continuous) the picture became more and more clear. Now, the color is outstanding and the objects are crystal clear. The flat tube is a great option. Best yet, component video from DVD makes the picture sparkle.
The speakers are a little large if you are going to hook it to a receiver anyway but this tv is a great buy. The remote is effective but it could use some modernization.

Purchased At:   Going out of business

Submitted by Jon Kiefer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I had a real tough time deciding at first. It was between the comparable Sony and the Zenith. Though I am not very fond of Sony products. They tend to break a lot or have some problem arise a bit too often, BUT I have always loved their t.v.'s. Great styles, great remotes, great features, and reliable.

The price difference was the 1st thing to open up the idea of purchasing the unfamiliar Zenith. Then I went back and forth with them sitting side by side checking out all they had to offer.

My conclusion: The Sony looked better anestetically and I liked the Sony remote more, but the Zenith had Component video (which I wanted) and seemed to have everything the Sony had plus some. With knowing this I couldn't justify spending several hundred dollars more on a set just because it looked better, plus no component video on the Sony.

Though I use Marantz's RC2000 remote (amazing remote!) I briefly used Zeniths remote and found it easy to function. As I said I did like Sony's better, maybe simply 'cause I'm used to their t.v. remotes.

For the price I paid, $569.00 new, I think I got an excellent deal. I do wish the front bottom panel looked better. But, for what really counts, the picture quality and usable/desirable features I can say I have no regrets and would choose the Zenith again for the great deal on this set.

I only have listened to the sound from the t.v. once when the curiousity got ahold of me. I turned off my Audio system and turned up the volume on the set. Tweaked the equalizer and tone controls and was impressed from the sound that came out. If you don't have an A/V receiver and are not interested in Dolby digital or DTS you'll be fine.

There is a slight hum that eminates from the t.v. I have separated my other equipment and use high quality interconnects to keep it at a minimum. I think the hum/distortion is probably present on most or all of the t.v.'s since I could hear it on two others of the same model (I noticed after I bought it of course)

All in all I would rate it 5 in value and 4 1/2 in overall- down from 5 only because of the front panel.

Purchased At:   Circut City

Submitted by Zach Friedland a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2000

Bottom Line:
Bought this TV as a less expensive alternitive to the WEGA line, and like it better then the WEGA. Used mostly for DVD watching through the Component Video: incredible quality. I like watching movies at home better than in the theater. Dual Tuner PIP is fast and very helpful.

I recommend this TV to all.

Remote is well laid out, and powerful.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by PL a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2000

Bottom Line:
When my Panasonic Superflat broke again (twice in 2 years!) I decide to hell with Panasonic. The first TV I looked at was the top of the line 27" Toshiba Cinema Series (I forget the model number). Pretty nice picture in warm/movie mode but once I had everything adjusted to my liking the light output was limited. It looked great in the dark but with even moderate room lighting the picture would wash out. It also had some geometry problems and the comb filter wasn't as good as the Zenith. Next I looked at the 27" Wega but the geometry errors were even worse that the Toshiba, plus, at $850 I could get a nice 32".

I had a chance to compare the IQB27FW directly to the 27" Wega and was quite surpised to see that the Zenith bested the Sony in just about every important area. Both sets were connected to a DVD player with 2 s-video outputs (the Wega didn't have component video). The Zenith looked a bit sharper, and had a bit more shadow detail. When the end-credits came up the Sony didn't display the same shade of black across the entire screen, the Zenith did. Ditto for an all white screen. Both sets had geometry problems but the Zenith's were much more subtle. Given all this and a $250 price differntial guess which one I took home.

Once I had everything adjusted to my liking, I was stunned with the picture quality. It looked significantly better than my Superflat (which is no slouch either). What most impressed me though was the superb comb-filter. Even with DVD I couldn't see any difference between comosite and s-video (and I'm real picky)! In fact, my S-VHS VCR looked better with a composite output with this TV. Even the internal audio system is pretty good (even has a 5-band EQ), though I would never use it. I was totally impressed for the first few days, but then...a friend came over to watch a DVD. First I put on a 1.78:1 movie just to show it off, then we watched the DVD he rented. It was a 2.35:1 and then we noticed the geometry problem. It was right at the top of the letterbox on the left side. Once I saw it I couldn't not notice it so I took the TV to a Zenith service center to correct the problem. A few days later I got a call from a technician saying everything was within factory spec. With that I hastily decided to return it. This was, after all Zenith's flagship direct-view set. I thought the Panasonic was good enough but now I regret returning the Zenith. It's a damn shame because this was the best looking NTSC direct-view I have ever seen (short of an XBR). Oh well, I guess I'll just keep the Panasonic until I'm ready to upgrade to HDTV. If you can find one without the geometry problem I highly recommend it. If you can live with that distortion then there is no question about which 27"er to buy. I wish I still had mine.

Purchased At:   Circuit City