Loewe Arcada
Description: 32 inch Digital TV with digital surround sound audio - Component Video Input - 60 Hz Digital progressive scan - Digital comb filter - picture-in-picture - Digital Picture Formatting (Several Aspect Ratios)

Submitted by green93 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Very the best when working.

Purchased At:   Home Theater Store

Submitted by Sean Keyes a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
In the realms of SDTV The Loewe stable is amongst the finest in the world. The shuddering disparity between the work of Germany's finest television producer and inappropriately named competitors reveals the perils an uniformed purchaser is confronted with. Performance is uncompromised, founded upon a patented digital processing unit. The 2001 Arcada 79cm describes fluid movements with negligible drag, a significant improvement from models of previous years. Those throughout the entire 2001 range incorporating the Digital Motion Interpolation and Digital Movie Mode apppear to be benefiting from this. It is a crying shame to hear of the customer service experiences from those in other countries. I must say I can think of no greater punishment than to have taken away the beauty of a Loewe picture. The widescreen capabilities are also terrific - whilst I am not completely sold on the widescreen concept, the ability to swith to a 16 to 9 ratio is an important versatility. However the scan line appearing at the top of the picture could be done without. In terms of ease of use, the presence of the A-Z help index demands particular merit. You sense the programmers thought most functions through to every end, although not all. The Loewe Arcada is a pleasure to view, simple to use and an honour to own.

Purchased At:   Stereo Supplies

Submitted by Mr BE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
I purchased and thoroughly enjoyed the Arcada 32” in piano black finish for the first 18 months of ownership. I received a lot of compliments from friends and family just on the esthetics of the Arcada. It made me feel pretty good about spending over $2,000 for a tv.

Then one day after 18 months of trouble-free usage, my Arcada exploded. I heard a tick, tick, tick sound, then boom! As a result, no picture, no sound, nothing, zippo, zilch. The cause? A defective transformer according to the tv technician and that a new transformer should be had in 2-3 days.

However, in what should have taken a few days to replace instead took two months. Why? Because I was informed that Loewe instead replaces the entire mother board and not just the transformer. Unfortunately, this mother board, so I was told, was to come from Germany, not from a U.S. based supplier. I was also informed that since September 11th, the New York Port Authority was processing imported goods at a more cautious pace (translation: more delay time).

When the mother board finally arrived, I was informed, that it was mis-keyed in the warehouse inventory computer system. This delayed the process another couple of weeks until someone finally figured out what happened.

Upon installation of the new mother board, the picture was suddenly larger than the screen. For example while watching CNN, text that normally scrolls at the bottom of the screen, only the top of the letters could be seen. Or if watching ESPN, the scoreboard at the lower right only showed one team of the two teams. And the picture was not only fuzzy; it would occasionally flicker as well.

At this point, I was lobbying Loewe for my money back or to be replaced with a current, readily available model. However, Loewe’s position was to replace my Arcada with a ‘duplicate’ model. Although the model I own is no longer being produced, I was informed that Loewe keeps a number of brand-new, never-been-used discontinued models in stock, in a separate warehouse on the east coast for cases such as this.

Living on the west coast, once again, in what I had hoped would take no more than two weeks, actually took closer to three months.

Part of the reason for the delay, was Loewe’s red tape process. Adding to the delay, I was told, was that the tv was initially mis-packaged as ‘clearance’ instead of ‘replenishment’. Once again, it

Submitted by c chapman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2002

Bottom Line:
Complete waste of money. Loewe has zero customer support. Would lnever, ever buy anything from those guys.

Submitted by Angelo Lo Certo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
Let me first say that I searched for Loewe product and made a conscious decision to buy the product, even up against much cheaper competition from the big Japanese producers or European guys like Philips.

Let me also say that I fell in love with the picture quality and design.

Now let me ACTIVELY DISCOURAGE ANYONE from even considering purchasing a Loewe product of any type.

After just 2.5 years (just out of warranty) the picture tube has died (internal short circuit, reason unknown - I am told by the technical people) and it has blown the signal board with it on the way out.

The quoted repair cost is USD1,827.

(I will not repair it - anyone need a boat anchor?)

The company does not care - they have ignored at least 3 emails to date to even comment on why their "premium" products fail so completely, so early. No reply at all.

To further rub salt on the wound - the picture tube is made by Philips. I should have bought a Philips instead.

And let me add, this is a domestic use situation, the same type and amount of usage that any TV set in the world would get used, nothing unusual.

I realise I may be the only one with this extreme type of story, but may it serve as a cautionary tale - I certainly will NEVER buy another product from this company again.