Paradigm Reference ADP-70 Surround Speakers

3.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by Rob Ciszak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
Good speaker for small cinema series fronts.

Timbre does not match the Monitor series.

Driver is too small to be a "full size" speaker and the high pass filter on my receiver has a minimum setting of 100 Hz - leaving a frequency gap from the rears (such as if a jet fly's from back to front).

I recently upgraded them to ADP-170 - A much better speaker!!!!!

Purchased At:   Audiocraft

Submitted by erick420 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Bottom Line:
These sound really good with my HT setup. I think they could have used separate tweeters like the 170's but they still sound good. They are very clear but lack lower sounds.

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by Chris Sanders a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2001

Bottom Line:
I needed a surround that was:
1. Cheap
2. Small
3. Matched my Atoms and CC-170

If I didn't have the size restraignt I would have gone with the ADP-170 instead, it is a far supirior speaker.

The good things:
It is very small and can go just about anywhere. I have mine mounted 2 inches from the cealing due to a window right where the speaker SHOULD go, and they do a great job of diffusing the sound down to where it sounds as if it is coming from beheind or beside you.

The bad things:
The tweeter for this speaker is NOT made by Paradigm and therefore does NOT exactly match my atoms and CC-170. But it is pretty close. Also.. I do not like the coaxual design.. There is no reason for it.. There is plenty of room on the side of the box to mount the tweet high and the mid low. They will NOT fill even a small room. The sound field for these if mounted on the back wall is only extends about 5 feet from the back wall.. Otherwise the center and mains completely overpower them.

Overall:
They are the best thing I can fit into my living room. They are sufficently accurate and do what they are supposed to do. I am satisfied with their performance.. but I really wish I had the room for the ADP-170s.

Purchased At:   Sound FX in KCMO, HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!!

Submitted by Rob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just an overall incredible speaker, always used a direct radiating speaker in the rear and was never aware of what I was missing. Paradigm has done it again with such an incredible little speaker, at such an incredible little price.

Purchased At:   Kelly's Stereo Mart

Submitted by Vince Chan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought these speakers to complete my home theater setup. They were last as I have had no previous exposure to dipoles before and was skeptical if they could hold up against direct radiating speakers when it came to panning effects. I was pleasantly surprised to hear that while these surrounds did fill my HT with sound they were directional when they needed to be under DD5.1 and DTS.
The ADP-70's are small and fairly lightweight and can be mounted even on wood panelling (without a stud behind).
The speakers themselves gave a clear and crisp sound and complement my CC-130, Titans and PDR10 sub quite well.

Purchased At:   A&B Sound Winnipeg