Yamaha YST-SW100 Subwoofers

4.8/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $450.00

70W sub w/ two (2) 7-inch paper cones with Active Servo Processing (1992)

Submitted by Jack a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2016

Bottom Line:
I'm in mourning. I didn't think it was possible but my wife blew this up last night. If she wasn't so sexy while she was doing it I might be pissed off but I just can't be. As far as the sub goes, it's the best for the money. It took two decades of heavy abuse before finally giving out. (I'm only guessing at the date because it seems like I had it forever.) I never write reviews but as I was looking for a replacement I came across this and I thought it worthy of a eulogy. It made everything I connected it to sound ten times better. What else can you ask for?!!! RIP

Submitted by Ron a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2015

Bottom Line:
Yamaha YST-SW100 review:
I bought this sub from a friend around 1997-1999 and it is still the best sub I have ever owned; and I have flirted with many over the years. It's been moved a dozen times since then across many states and it has never had any problems. Clear tight base, no distortion or unwanted noticeable vibrations. Love it!

Submitted by gbn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2012

Bottom Line:
This is a very good sub which has a punchy bass.The bass is very tight and can go very low frequencies.I really enjoyed it with my stereo system.If you can find then in second hand market definite worth to buy.I got mine for just S$100.This was one of my highest value for money deal...Only one thing didn't impress me was its size.But still can be forgiven this for the sound quality...

Submitted by gustasmaximus a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2011

Bottom Line:
I`ve had mine for over 10 years,still works,still sounds fantastic,if you find one grab it,(rare) and ps its built well.

Submitted by Tyrion a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Bottom Line:
This sub, if you can find one is an extraordinary find. I purchased this on ebay, to replace a Polk ten inch sub-woofer that was not musical at all. If you do the math two 7 inch drivers have almost exactly the same surface area as a single ten inch.

I recommend these for and addition to a stereo system. Tight, Tight bass! With the adjustable crossover it will blend seamlessly into your system. No boom, no avalanche of exaggerated bass that does not belong. It you like thunking because... I don't know why you would, Find bigger drivers, put them in a poor inclosure (so as it will vibrate) causing intense and distored vibration.

This sub is musical and makes a great addition to a stereo, floor standing as well as bookshelf. Full range speakers are best but you can't go wrong with this addition to your stereo.

High End: