Yamaha YST-SW215
Description: <ul> <li>8" cone driver</li> <li>120W Amplifier</li> <li>30 to 200 Hz frequency range</li> <li>Advanced Active Servo Technology --is an amplifier/speaker system utilizing negative impedance feedback in the amp and a Helmholtz resonator in the speaker to provide strong and accurate bass.</li> <li>BASS Selector</li> <li>Yamaha's QD-Bass Technology</li> <li>Magnetic Shielding</li> </ul>

Submitted by videodoktor a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
I bought this little fellow to use when watching movies worked so well I bought another and use them in stereo instead of the sub woofer output on preamp. I have the turn over point at its lowest point. Not that it will move walls and such it does add a little more pizzaz at tlox level they are turned off when not watching movies. This set up is in what we call guest area

Purchased At:   Sounds Unlimited Dan

Submitted by j a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
d

Purchased At:   d

Submitted by K.C. a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2005

Bottom Line:
I was searching for the least expensive sub I could find that promised decent sound. I didn't want to rattle the windows since I usually use the home theater system after the kiddies are in bed, so I didn't need much. I was getting more bass from my monster center channel (EC-35) that I was from my front speakers, so I just wanted to add a little bit to the low end. So I purchased the SW215 from Best Buy, figuring I'd just return it if I didn't like the sound.

Well, I still have it. So far, the SW215 had been exactly what I was looking for. It's certainly not the most impressive sub I've heard - but it does the job. I can definitely tell a difference when I turn it on - even in my relatively large family room. It's also nice and small, so it doesn't stand out and wreck the decor (my wife is pleased by this).

All in all, it's probably just a so-so subwoofer, but c'mon - it's only got an 8" driver to work with. And it was $100. So I'm thrilled.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by music fan San Fran a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2005

Bottom Line:
All low end (less than $1K) speakers need a boost in the bass. I have a set of Klipsch Synergy speakers (SF-1, SC-1, SS-1) that are especially needy. This wonderful little subwoofer rounded out my system beautifully. It's not powerful enough to shake your windows but if you have neighbors, as I do, window shaking is not an option. This sub is musical and sweet and precise. And for $99, there's nothing else like it.

Some reviews below complain that they can't hear the sub. This is almost certainly a phase problem. This sub has a downward firing cone woofer, and a port on one side. The port puts out sound when the woofer cone moves *up*, which is 180 degrees out of phase with the rest of your speakers. So push the 'phase' button to reverse and you'll hear the sub come shining through.

Can't beat this little guy for the price.

Purchased At:   Amazon.com

Submitted by joej1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this sub as a cheap fix after my last sub died unexpectedly (Sony products will never again haunt my home). This has turned out to be an excellent sub for a cheap price. Some may be inclined to bag on it, because it is a low end unit.
The thing to remember always with any product like this, is that it is tested in design, and in production using a very controlled environment using excellent equiptment, so when it leaves the factory it is a good product. With halfway decent components at home (receiver) and proper connections (with appropriate cable), and proper placement in an appropriate sized room, this will sound great - clean, tight bass with little distortion and plenty of volume.
True it ought to be that you can take any product and hook it up to a crappy system, and still have it perform, but then that would be the definition of a high end product which would still struggle to get beyond the receiver that is powering it. So hooking a low end sub like this from an excellent audio company will produce great sound, provided you have taken the time to do it right (which doesn't require much more expense - which is why someone would be buying a low end product) Okay I'm off the soapbox, give this sub a try (with the previous in mind)and you won't be disappointed.

Purchased At:   BestBuy