Yamaha YST-SW800
Description: 10" ported subwoofer with internal 1000 watt amplifier

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2013

Bottom Line:
Hi guys.

Although this is a discontinued model now but if you`re like me and trawl through reviews before you buy anything then this is a 12 years experience/review with the YST SW800.

I would suggest as others have to place this monster on a solid surface. I built my own soundproofed music room and had to go from floorboards ( the resonance from the bass at low levels was just awful) to a solid concrete floor. Obviously this is a bit extreme for most normal people(and wives if you`ve got one) but I know of others that have place the SW800 on a solid marble base to try and overt the resonance problem. I`d personally suggest a very thick ugly concrete paving slab myself as marble only comes in certain thicknesses and try to disguise the ugly slab in someway. Anything to achieve the potential this monster kicks out and I promise you it`ll be worth any hassle in the long run.

This unit has given me 12 solid hard years of pleasure being used every day for at least 2 to 4 hours a day and has only just broken down and is awaiting repair. I will of course update this post as to the repair costs etc. But up to this point in time I would say this unit it amazing. You have to play around a bit with the set up controls to find the right level for your environment, but as per normal it`s your ears that are the deciding judge.

Another good tip to consider is that ALL the screws holding it together will eventually come loose and no matter how many times you tighten them back up they`ll come loose again and again! I overcame this little problem with some clear silicone. Any DIY outlet sells it and you just take the screws out one by one, squirt a nice big blob of silicone on the end of the end of it and screw it back in. Don`t worry about the excess silicone coming out of the hole onto the screw head as it will harden. You`ll be tempted to wipe it off as it squirts out. DON`T because It will be a mess everywhere. Just let it harden overnight and you just literally pull off the excess on the screw head the next day.

I can not recommend this unit highly enough and if you can find a good second hand or refurbished one I would give it a go.

Submitted by mdell a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2005

Bottom Line:
DIED AFTER 1 1/2 YEARS OF ONLY DVD PLAYING.BOUGHT IT AT ETRONICS (AVOID THEM)I contacted yamaha for warranty they directed me to a licenced repair dealer.after paying 25.00 for diagnostics.yamaha stated no warranty cause it was purchased on line at a non-yamaha dealer and etronics would have to honer warranty.I contacted etronics they e-mailed me to send it in for warranty repairs but I would have to pay for shipping there ($101.00) then after they received it I got a phone call stating they received it after the warranty was up and there would be no ecceptions ***AVOID ETRONICS***AVOID ETRONICS***

Purchased At:   etronics/HORRIBLE

Submitted by janetor_123 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
this rocks!

Purchased At:   dealer

Submitted by monjo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Bottom Line:
Having owned the Yamaha YST-SW800 for about two years now, I can say it is a very solid performer. It's been hooked up with several different speaker systems and has had a benificial effect on them all. Currently it is being used in conjuction with a pair of BG420's with very satisfactory results. When set up properly the bass it produces is both tight and full-bodied and blends in quite seemlessly with the main speakers. Dollar for dollar I have yet to hear it's peer. My rating is based on it's price range.

Purchased At:   Store in Kuwait

Submitted by Jamie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I love bass and was looking for an excuse to get a sub. The guys downstairs gave me that excuse. Now I hear complaints every weekend of how many bottles I knocked off the mantle downstairs. Great sub! I am impressed more everytime i listen to it. Excellent for movies and very good for music. Can experience some flutter from the port when all the way up listening to Rap music. Can eliminate easily by cranking back the volume to 80% or so. Still plenty pounding enough for me.

Purchased At:   Etronics.com