Yamaha YST-SW500

Submitted by pinchechris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2009

Bottom Line:
This is a sleeper, if you find one, BUY IT! Chances are it'll be cheap as heck because the name Yamaha isn't normally associated with competitive subwoofers. I bought mine on craigslist for $50. I almost apologized to the guy as I was carrying it out. I had watched the ad go from $120 all the way down to $50 and I finally couldn't take it anymore. It replaced a velodyne sub in the home theater room and I haven't regretted it.

I can't gush about it enough: It produces incredible bass all the way down to 20hz. This coming from a 10" sub and small enclosure. It's remote control which comes in handy for the "late night, trying not to piss off the neighbors" movies. Not a hint of boomy-ness, only clean, foundation rattling bass.

I haven't tried it for music as my 2 channel system already has an amazing sub (the yamaha is a little plain looking. Not a strike against it, just not as pretty as the Onix that sits downstairs), but I imagine it would excel at 2 channel as well.

I'm not a "Yamaha" guy, I've got much better taste than that BUT.........this thing pretty much rules for the price paid. Heck I'd still be raving even if I'd picked it up for $300 used.

Submitted by Jeff Hall a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2000

Bottom Line:
great sub with both high and low level inputs. 3 programable settings whith is very useful for different types of music. I listen to rock differently from a DVD to classical. lots of power and deep response. I use it with both my allisons and my surround system which is not a challenge for it since the room is medium sized.

the remote also allows for effect on/off, phasing and adjustable volume and frequency cutoff.

great sub and the extra features are great