Yamaha YST-SW90
Description: Powered Sub

Submitted by JMN a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2008

Bottom Line:
I received this as a gift several years ago. I heard this along with the YST-SW150 at a store and immediately liked how this model sounded more faithful to recordings than others in its price range (without the turning all the details into one continuous rumble, as I have noticed many cheap ported subs tend to do). I have used this sub in my main setup for a while now and have been quite satisfied. It gets used for both music and movies with only a few exceptions; for louder, more obnoxious bass I switch to a 10" DVC car sub in ported box powered by a Realistic SCR-4500. Unfortunately this setup cannot match the YST-SW90's clarity.

Submitted by Holmes_19 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2005

Bottom Line:
This subwoofer is an amazing buy as i got it for only £50 and for any room it still fills the room nicely.
I had to mess around with positions of the sub but after that i found that where ever i sit i can hear a nice sound from the sub in music and HT!!!
For any one who wants a sub i think that this would be a very good investment as it will be as worht that much in later times.

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by Thomas a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
This sub is very good for the price. It has extremly tight bass and sounds good as long as you do not blast your music. I have two, one hooked up to my main system with a pair of Infinity speakers and a Sony reciever which is used to HT and music and also one in my room hooked to a pair of B&W 601S3 and a Technics reciever. I have not hooked them both up at the same time but I will next year when I move into my new house. Then I will add to this review. I would recommend this sub to anyone on a budget who still wants quality sound. I have listened to the sony also and it is loud but musically it does not compare.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
This sub has won me over from all of the options I've had. The only woofer to hit as tight as this one was the other Yamaha. No other woofer was as easy to place as this one. As far as "movie theater-type" bass that shakes and rumbles rooms/walls, you'll have to look into a JBL or Sony. This one was exactly priced to meet my needs and to live up to it's specs. I have a room which is 15'x15', and it is filled with rich bass. This would work in a small to medium room, but don't even think about a large room... you'll have to get two. The banana plugs/binding post are well suited for speaker attachments. I plan on skipping Sony's SAW-M40 and keeping this one. For 80W on an 8", it's as much as I'll need, and I even listen to rap and hip-hop, so that says enuff as far as lovin' lotsa' bass.

Purchased At:   best buy

Submitted by John Banczak a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've been watching movies for years without a subwoofer, so I don't feel the need to rumble my house apart. I also listen to music 10x as much as watch any TV so I was looking for something that would work best for music. I also wanted to hide it. This all being said, I am pretty impressed with how low and loud it goes for HT, and it works very well for music. I am very satisfied with it. My system is:

HK AVR350