Yamaha YST-SW160
Description: Powered subwoofer

Submitted by stereoray a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got this sub cheap, and thats what it is cheap. For a 120.00 smackers it is worth it,but the thing is so dam booommmyyyy and placement can be difficult. I had a energy that would kill this thing ,but it was also 500.00 more than this is, so I can say it was worth the 120.00, but I would not pay full price for this unit. Overall it's not a terrible peice just medicore.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by jurriaivo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
Somebody here said that SW 160 is too big. I disagree: Since it's tall
it works great as a speaker stand for small speakers. Doesn't sound
too bad either. It's not the most powerful subwoofer there is but if
you're using small speakers it gives you some more power to the low
range. A finnish hifi magazine 'measured' it's predecessor SW 150
and it went down to 25 Hz / -6 dB, don't think SW 160 is any worse.

Purchased At:   local hifi store

Submitted by COREY a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2001

Bottom Line:
this is a great sub if you have a small room and a low budget. actually i found that it did music at low volumes just as good as mw klipsch ksw-12. but at volume the klipsch walks away from it in clarity and spl. the ksw even seemed faster than the dual 8's which i found surprising. i say spend the extra 100 dollars and get the ksw-12 or jbl pb 12.

Purchased At:   AIR FORCE EXCHANGE

Submitted by Joerg a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub two weeks ago as replacement for the liitel brother YST-SW 45. The 160 really powers my system out of the house! Within playing digital sources it's very impressive how powerfull this sub does its work.

I´m using JBL TLX4 as my front pair,an PROSON Center and as effects a pair of Yamaha's NX-E100 (yes, the "PianoCraft"!), all on the DENON AVR-1800, and it sounds wonderfull, espacially if you like a solid bass-underground.

That is sometimes the only thing that's critical, because it could sound too boomy! I sensed this as I listened to my favourite CDs, but for this price...

Try it out, it's worth its money!

Purchased At:   Mega Company

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I haven't much to say yet on how satisfied I'am on purchasing this product. It's one of my first brand name models (which actually have quality), but it hasn't been what I thought it would be. I have heard Yamaha's SW45 and Sony's SAWM40. The SW45 was too weak for my taste, and so I looked at the Sony and Yamaha YST-SW160 <----which I never planned on buying. I heard the Sony sub and it sounded great. I never demoed the Yamaha for some unknown reason and assumed it was the better buy b'c of the 150W, dual woofers, and lowered price. After bringing it home and hearing this one it jus' doesn't seem to have that theater presence as the Sony did, nor as much power. This could be the fact that I haven't found the right spot for it yet, or it's maybe that the Sony has bettered itself this time. It is possible that I may take this one back and give the Sony a try and receive my rebate as well of $50.

Purchased At:   bestbuy