Yamaha YST-SW150

Submitted by Stinkywizlteats a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2009

Bottom Line:
I think I wrote a review on this once before but I can't seem to find it. Regardless, I would have to agree with a previous post that to compare this sub to something that is considerably more expensive is foolish. Your not going to get the same sound quality out of a sub thats worth 400 dollars vs something that is 1000 dollars or more. With that said, I have owned this sub since 1998 and for what I paid for it I can say that I am satisfied with my purchase. The sound quality varies depending on the source, for instance the sub sounds boomy and distorts when its called upon to deliver rapid fire bass such as with Techno. However with movies, were the sound reproduction is typically not as rapid or successive, it sounds fine. For the best sound I typically have the HI Cut set to 110 Hz and the volume set to 3/4 to Max After listening to higher end subs more recently, this sub does not compare but you get what you paid for.

Now that I think of it I think I gave this sub a really good review the first time I wrote it but considering it was years ago and that I've had considerably more time to demo stuff I am going to recant and revise my original post were ever it might have gone off to.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by Jason B a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have been using the YST-SW150 since 1996. The only distortion is when glasses vibrate off of the coffe table. Absolutely rock solid. Brings dianosaurs to your living room...what can I say.

Purchased At:   Sears

Submitted by SpeckleKat a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
People who try to compare apples with oranges really irk me. Yeah, you can spend ridiculous $$$'s on a subwoofer so how can you compare high end with mid or low end. C'mon...sound is all subjective just like all tastes and preferences. That's why there's so many models to choose from. You want to compare a Ferrari to a Volkwagen or a Yugo. Go ahead. I'll be laughing at you.

Purchased At:   The Wiz

Submitted by snjohns a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
A good subwoofer for the price. However will not impress an Audiophile simplty does not have the mind-numbimg sonic boom to get one's attention. For the money I pain though. I am not complaining. I will move it to the bedroom and upgrade soon because my livingroom at 22ft x 24ft is simply too large for this sub.
If you are on a budget and really want to rock the house, you may need to buy a quality sub in the $300 - $500 price range with at least a 10" woofer.

Purchased At:   Sears (Floor model)

Submitted by Don McNevin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got a good deal on this because it was an open box and I knew the salesperson. I use it with Bose 301's a Bose center channel and small Bose surrounds. It gives lots of deep bass if you put it in a corner like youre supposed to. It really brings a surround system to life. I would recommend this to anyone using small to mid sized home speakers, to really put some kick into your music and movie experience.

Purchased At:   Best Buy