Velodyne Acoustics VA-1215X II Subwoofers

Velodyne VA-1215X II Subwoofer

Submitted by Gavin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2004

Bottom Line:
I used to think this was a great sub... then I got my Butler power amp and it's just exposed it as slow and boomy ('cos now the mains sound better than ever). It's loud when you want it to be and goes pretty low but there are better subs to be had.

Purchased At:   Musical Images

Submitted by Dave a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this subwoofer on E-Bay thinking that it would be an OK subwoofer. I wasn't expecting thundering bass out of one twelve inch woofer. The first thing I noticed when I got it out of the packaging was that the actual cones of the woofer and the 15" passive radiator looked cheap. Foam surrounds. My car subs at 100 each had rubber.
I hooked it up and was not impressed. I tried moving it more into the middle of the room to reduce boominess. No sucess. This is some of the boomiest bass I have ever heard. I guess you can't guaruntee good sound with a name. Probably would have done better with a high quality single ten without a passive radiator. I don't think I will ever get a passive radiator system again.

Purchased At:   E-Bay

Submitted by Stephen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
I've had a pair of these subs for more than two years. I think they are a good value for the money, but I find them to be somewhat boomy, and slow; kick drums are mushy and fail to punch. On movies they add plenty of low end noise, but they are somewhat inarticulate; explosions have no attack, they just kind of build up instead of kicking me in the chest. That said they are still a nice addition to the Magneplanar MG-3s as long as I don't try and push them to fill in the bottom like I wish they could. Most people that hear them think I should turn them up, but because of the above mentioned shortcomings, the sound very quickly becomes fatiguing and annoying. Next time I will get something in a large sealed box.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Mark a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is the most powerful sub I currently own, both in terms of amplifier power and decibels. I haven't felt the need to get another since I positioned it permanently in my listening room. This sub is awesome for home theater, and fits 99% of my needs for music.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Brandon Mikkelsen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2001

Bottom Line:
This sub has an interesting design with the 12 inch foreward firing powered sub and the 15 inch passiv sub firing to the bottom. With 250 watts of power it gets the job done. Being a Velodine it is louder and stronger than it seems like it should based on the specks, but it's a velodine so you should expect more. Awesome sub.

Purchased At:   circuit city