Velodyne Acoustics SPL-800 Series II Subwoofers

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Small-Plays-Loud (SPL) Series subwoofer line consists of the SPL-800 Series II (8 driver), SPL-1000 Series II (10 driver) and SPL-1200 Series II (12 driver). All share a patented Energy Recovery System (ERS) 1000 watt RMS/ 2000 watt dynamic power digital switching amplifier. With their compact size and single front firing driver design, the SPL Series II subwoofers are easily hidden in a corner or built into a cabinet. Velodynes exclusive distortion limiting Dynamic Driver Control System assures linear cone movement, and controls the drivers frequency and distortion characteristics. This allows the SPL Series II subwoofers to play loud yet keep the bass very clean, tight and accurate.

Submitted by Steven a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
Great performance for such as small package and love the remote control.

Purchased At:   Century Stereo

Submitted by jmon a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
I was always a bigger is better type of guy. I started off with a klipsch reference series sub 10in (not enough power and really sloppy), then knew I was going to velodyne's splS2 series and I figured for a couple extra bucks I should just get the 12in because it produced everything the 8 and 10in did and more. I had it for 8months and was really disappointed. I almost didn't want to listen to music with it the bass is just overpowering. I adjusted the cross over, the sub power settings (to 1 out of 10) and the sub signal from my receiver. For rock, classical and country, it was WAY too much, there was no balance at all. The 8 blends right in with my fronts (klipsch rf3 S11) Since I listen to music 95% of the time, it made sense for me. Also my room is large 14x21ft but not huge. It also has hardwood floors. This also factors into the decision. It provides ample enough bass for most movies with 1000watts RMS. Now I will say that the SPL12S2 would rattle the glasses in the dishwasher with it closed. It doesn't produce that sort of earth shattering bass, but if you really enjoy seamless music at low to med levels and don't have a 30x30 rec room, the 8in or 10in is ample.

Purchased At:   Ebay-New

Submitted by Wstandis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
Note: Too many people consider themselves Audiophiles, I humbly list myself as an enthusiast. Not impressed. I Was sold that this would slice bread. It does not. Again for what it is, it is a very good product, a small unit for small syatems. MY B&W 640's put out more bass than this. By no means add's $1000 to my enjoymnet. For $1000 I could do a lot better things.

Purchased At:   Tweeter