Velodyne Acoustics HGS-18 Subwoofers

4.79/5 (38 Reviews) MSRP : $3000.00

Velodyne's Flagship

Submitted by eagertrader a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
Initially I bought this sub for home theater, but it so dissapears that I forgot that it is there as it automatically turns on. I listen to mostly classical music in 2 channel stereo, and it complements my pair of Dali Grands at the front seamlessly.
You do notice however if it isn't there though (if I turn it off), as the gut satisfying bass and the grand scale sound aren't all there anymore.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   NEW fr/an Internet d

Submitted by jimjazz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2004

Bottom Line:
The Velodyne HGS-18 is edge of the art in sound. It teams with the Magnepan 3.6 to make wonderful music, with bass extended below the threshold of audibility. My entire collection of Jazz and Classical music has never sounded as good as it has the past 2 years. The servo design makes this a much more musical sub than anything on the market.

Purchased At:   Local Dealer

Submitted by Howard Ferstler a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I reviewed the earler F1800RII version of this sub for The Sensible
Sound and found it to be a sensational performer. The earlier
version has about half the power, but the later one has its max
acoustic output limited more by driver mechanics than electricity,
and so the extra power is more of a bragging point than a real
advantage.

Two comments:

1. One of your earlier reviewers mentioned the sub being a tad
"slow." However, subs do not need to be "fast." All they need to be
able to do is move fast enough to handle the frequencies being
sent to them by the low-pass filter in the crossover network. The
fast attack part of any bass transient will be handled by the midrange
or tweeter drivers. If a sub were reproducing the fast attack signals
it would call attention to its location. In other words, you do not want
a subwoofer to be "fast."

2. One reviewer said that it would take two 10-inch subs to match
the big 18-inch Velodyne. That is nonsense. With the same excursion
limits from each driver, it would take four 10 inchers do do the job.
However, since most 10-inchers cannot match the excursion reach
of the big Velodyne, it is likely that even six or eight would be required.

3. One reviewer mentioned pumping the unit so that it was moving
back and fourth three inches. He also indicated that his main
speakers have three 12-inch woofers apiece and that his surrounds
each have several 10 inchers apiece. He then noted that he has
actually damaged his listening room with bass power. Unless this
guy has a listening room the size of an airplane hanger, all I can say
about this is that he needs to get a life

Purchased At:   Factory review sampl

Submitted by amrosi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
What I can say about this subwoofer that hasnt been said already apart from the fact that I paid quite abit more in aussie dollars for mine.
Just make sure you have good foundations because even at mid level the frequency of these subs can shake the roaches out.

Submitted by Lerxst a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2003

Bottom Line:
I had to comment on the series of reviews here. First, I've had the HGS-18 (series 1, I think... don't remember anything about a series 2 at the time of purchase) for over a year as a replacement for two (serially, not at the same time) Sunfire True Sub Signatures which were either defective or REALLY WEIRD in my listening room. They produced a "flapping" kind of distortion that Sunfire thought might be caused by delamination of the driver from the surround. In retrospect, guess it could have been my fault. They didn't produce enough output and I could have been turning them up loud enough to distort.) I'm one of those dudes who believes in overkill squared when it comes to subs. Anyhow, the Velodyne has given me flawless performance even when overdriven. I've had that driver flapping at 3" excursion. It has done literal structural damage to my house. Just repaired a spot on the wall where the plaster vibrated off, and my house is only 9 years old! Keep blowing light bulbs too. I use it for both music and movies. Should also say the rest of my system is also a bit on the large side. I use front mains by Legacy Audio with 3 12" woofers each, and rear surrounds with 3 10" woofers each. Front and rear centers are slightly smaller but could still probably handle a DD "large" setting. (I run them on small) All driven by OLD carver amps-- before the company took a nose dive. They seem to be coming back though. I digress. With respect to the "hum", I wonder if people might be hearing the internal amp itself. I can hear amplifiers, and I'm not talking about through the drivers. Transformers can emit a certain hum, and I've returned equipment in the past not b/c of being defective, but because I can hear it operating. This could be resonating through the rear faceplate which doubles as a heat-sink for the amp. Just a thought. Also, on the "fast vs. slow" issue, my opinion is that people who refer to "fast" are talking about the initial fractional millisecond of the first advance sound wave. There *is* a difference between large and small subs in terms of reaction time. The people who say this is impossible due to frequency of bass being relatively longwave are also forgetting their lessons about inertia and mass. A larger mass (bigger cone) will initially move slightly slower, or take many X the power to move as fast as a smaller cone. Transient impact could theoretically be slightly reduced. In any case, this sub's 18" cone, servo-regulated design, and massive peak power are more than enough to compensate for its mass. It's big but moves small. Check it out, just watch out for the overhead stucco dust falling on your head. 4 stars for price, this sucker is expensive! 5 stars once your wallet recovers.

Purchased At:   OneCall