Velodyne Acoustics HGS-12 Subwoofers

4.69/5 (32 Reviews) MSRP : $2000.00

Subwoofer

Submitted by Phil G a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2014

Bottom Line:
Bought in 1999 for new Home Theater System @ $1500. A few years of working very well but then in approx 2005 got bad buzzing and had to send back for new amp ($275) repair. Got back played it a few times over course of couple years then crapped out with buzzing again but now they want $375 for repair of same thing again. I stated that they had repair it once before for saame reason and asked for lower price to fix and was refused. So questioning if paying 1800 if it's time to throw away and buy a new system from someone other manf given what you can buy nowadays for $500. It's largely sitting in my a back room as a paperweight for the past 5 years. I know it's nearly 16 years later but thinking if same problem twice, the manf should be standing behind product even if giving me a trade in benefit of some value not charging me more for what appears as a engineering issue that I've seen from many others similar issues. Loved it when it worked but do I throw more money at it to fix?

Submitted by niksem a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2003

Bottom Line:
Nice looking sub. You can tell that it is maid with good parts you would expect from a thing that costs $2k. It is my first home sub really so it is hard for me to compare with anything else except the 18" Treo SSX subwoofer in my car. this Velodyne seems to go as deep as 18" I have except it is more precise and more musical so to say.

Purchased At:   onecall.com

Submitted by esroberto a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought the floor model of the HGS-12 (my hi-fi salesman turned the HGS-12 on for scarcely 45 seconds by the time I got out my checkbook) back when I had Thiel .5's (www.thielaudio.com), the smallest in Thiel's full range line, and it blended seamlessly. Since then, I've moved up two models, having 1.5's for a few weeks before purchasing brand new 2.3's, upgrading my amp from the Musical Fidelity A300 to the A308, and I still have to keep the HGS-12 x-over set to 40Hz and the volume at 11 o'clock. With Perfect Sound spikes added, my entire floor (if not my entire room) BECOMES the sub, and I mean it when I say it, there is no better sub on the planet. The servo system gives the 3,000W amp more control of the driver than Streisand has over her career, and tighter, cleaner, more MUSICAL bass and sub-bass cannot be had at any price. It's easily the best $1000+tax I've ever spent on anything, ever ever! (I most definitely would've given up the next $1000 if I hadn't been able to get the floor model, no question.) But don't take my word for it, go hear one yourself.

Purchased At:   Nicholson's Hi-Fi

Submitted by rigger12 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
very sharp, small enclosure with the amp on the inside of the box. has all the necessary features but the optional remote cost $60. hooked up to yamaha rxv3000 with klipsch synergy speakers. this sub was to replace the va1512. after comparing the 2, i have come up with a few comments. the servo technology works... it is cleaner, tighter and more enjoyable to listen to. however, overall output without monitoring distortion still leaves the two subs on the same field(118db's). the hgs sub wont break any sound barriers, but it will sound better. one last point on this, with the klipsch pushed to 90% of max, the hgs sub would monitor its output. the va1512 would just distort trying to keep up. i like this new sub for movies and music, it performs very well. i will need to purchase a second to get the output i want(125db's), or purchase bigger subs.

Purchased At:   onecall

Submitted by BrianB a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Well, this about does it – all I ever wanted in a subwoofer, except, perhaps, the ability to actually demolish the foundations of my home (although it does come very close to that), or cause kidney damage. I had dealt with smaller subwoofers in the past, due partially to budget constraints, and mostly to shipping constraints (U.S. Mail can accommodate, at best, only the smallest 10” subwoofers). My latest attempt had been with dual NHT Super Subs. Talk about placement problems! I learned more about room acoustics just trying to get good sound out of them than I ever would have otherwise. And, after several months of experimentation, I ended up with reasonably powerful bass, but never fully integrated them to get rid of that lagging, slow bass on music. (nothing will kill certain forms of music more effectively than low bass that can’t keep up). On the other hand, the Velodyne HGS-12 required virtually no special positioning or set up to get an outstanding blend with my main speakers. Music really moves now – my reference bass tracks have never sounded better, not even on my reference headphone setup of Sennheiser HD600s driven by a Headroom Supreme amp. And WOW! What bass! It’s true that that last half- or quarter-octave of bass missing from most small subs makes a real difference. Aside from the direct impact on pieces of music and soundtracks that actually contain low frequencies below 32Hz (organ music, rocket launches), all other music and movies benefit substantially by just coming across as more solid, for lack of a better description. A sense of enlarged scale is imparted that was previously lacking – movies and music now sound “full sized”.

Plus you can impress your friends and family with ridiculous demonstrations like the “Jurassic Lunch” track on Telarc’s Surround Spectacular – my 11-year old nephew looked at me in awe and said he could feel the pressure in his head! You just can’t put a price on that level of owner satisfaction.

Associated equipment:
Sony STR-DA777ES receiver (as preamp/surround processor)
NHT 2.5i main speakers