Velodyne Acoustics HGS-10X Subwoofers

The HGS-10X delivers accurate, low distortion bass, less than 1% distortion all the way down to 20 Hz and below. Powered by a digital switching amplifier that produces 1250 watts RMS with a dynamic power rating of over 3000 watts for the highest amplifier efficiency ever achieved in the audio industry. These subwoofers are excellent choices for in room use or custom installation.
  • High quality crossover system
  • Phase adjustment

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by ggolub a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
    I am using HGS-10 for about a year. I am totally satisfied with them. Many people complain that they are not reliable. I feel this sub has it's own limitations: you can not use it all day and night long for loud parties. It was not simply designed for that. There is nothing wrong with that limitation. Immaging a pair of $20k audiophile speakers which all over sudden would be used in a rock concert!
    What does matter for me is that regardless of it's compact size (this was a requirement for my 13*8 ft room) it produces no compromise, I emphisize: no compromise musical and controlled bass.
    I am using it in a room 13*8 and find that this sub is 'right at home' for this kind of space. It's easy to tune and I am doing it once in a while for different recordings. There is two controls: crossover frequence which I use at 85 Hz and level.
    Resolution is pretty good too. I hear the melody played by bass instruments and hear the rest of the music played by main speakers. All in all this item is highely recommended if your budget for sub is around $1100 or less.