Velodyne Acoustics DPS-10 Subwoofers

Digital Signal Processing (DSP) is at the heart of the Digital Power Slot (DPS) Series subwoofers providing less distortion, customized listening modes and the most output possible. All signal processing of this advanced, yet affordable subwoofer is managed digitally, and is controlled with a single touch of a button using the unique front touch-panel. Located on the panel are four convenient presets for Movies, R&B-Rock, Jazz-Classical and Games, as well as volume control and an exclusive Night Mode setting. The top panel of this incredibly elegant-looking subwoofer has 15 coats of high-glass, hand-buffed, black lacquer. The DPS Series consists of the DPS-10 with a 10" forward firing driver (8.2" piston diameter) and the DPS-12 with a 12" forward firing driver (9.9" piston diameter). The DPS Series subs easily outperform other subwoofers in their class in both quality and quantity of bass reproduction.

Submitted by Big Bill a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2013

Bottom Line:
Having owned this sub for several years and I must disagree with the previous reviewer. It is not the best sub I have heard, but it is for the price. It has rattled my windows many times while watching video but it is still very articulate for music. I use the B&K AVR 307, KEF 103/4 speakers, Music Hall CD. I have also used various HK receivers and B&K amps. It is a worthy component. I have left it on almost 5 years and no problems.

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by Ziggie a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Bottom Line:
This DPS-10 was given to me not working. Being a tech for a long time, it did not take me that long to check it out, the speker delay ON relay is not turning on, so to test I had to bypass this future. This eliminates nasty popping on turn on.
Speaker works just fine, but I need to fix the relay on anyway.
Speaker is not that bad, it does not have sound that great, but the electronics is another story, especially the amplifier board. As this is build in 2006, it is incredible piece of crap, (read very poor quality circuit board and components used), no wonder it quit working on the guy who gave it to me.
The other thing I see is the price for it on the net, $400.00, this must be a joke. From what I see inside, I would not pay more than $100.00 for this.

Ziggie

Submitted by Graphyfotoz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
Before I bought this I did the same thing your doing right now.....read the reviews!
All I read on this DPS-10 were at min 4 outta 5 stars.

Well now that I got it I fully agree!
The sound is tight and responsive...look very attractive with a piano finish on top.
They can be had for a very attractive price right now (MSRP was $499)
Works very nice with Home Theater as well as Music.
I'm very pleased with it and it REALLY rocks my house with 185watts RMS.

In reality it's a modern replacement for the CT-100 with a lil more kick.
Ct-100 was 150watts RMS 375watts max where the DPS-10 is 185watts RMS 375watts max.
CT-100 was Analog where the DPS-10 is Digital Controlled.

Music I listen to:

Product model year:   2007

Purchased At:   Ebay BNIB

Submitted by GALEN a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2007

Bottom Line:
THIS IS THE BEST SUB IVE EVER HEARD... WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

NOT A ONE NOTE SUB. SOUNDS VERY GOOD NO MATTER WHAT MUSIC YOU LISTEN TO. VERY DEEEP AND DOES NOT BOTTOM OUT.

Purchased At:   CIRCUIT CITY

Submitted by ceomilord a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2006

Bottom Line:
Ok, here was my dilemma. I wanted punchy bass (feel the gunshots & punches), but I still want the depth & rumble of a 12"sub w/out distortion or slop. I went back and forth between the DPS10 & DPS12. I previously had the Velodyne VRP1000 & that just didnt cut it. Anyways, i just hooked up the DPS10 last night & spent today tweeking it & I must say that there is a HUGE difference. I was quite skeptical when i got, but that changed quickly. I had to have my reciever +8db for my sub & now its flat level. And, its hits MUCH harder. The sound is very clean, controlled, accurate & smooth sounding. I broke it in w/ Underworld, Incredibles, & Sin City. The punch was very nice. Due to the front port design, the positioning of this sub is VERY important. I also realized that the presets on the sub are nice, but pretty useless. I've found the jazz/classical setting to be the one i use most & just work the volume from there. I've used polk, infinity, harmon kardon & other velodyne subs before & this one has brought the biggest smile to my face thus far. Highly recommend.

Purchased At:   Circuit City