Velodyne Acoustics DD-15 Subwoofers

Velodyne has achieved digital perfection with the Digital Drive Series subwoofers. The series consists of 4 digital subwoofers the DD-10 (10 driver, 8 piston diameter), the DD-12 (12 driver, 9.7 piston diameter), the DD-15 (15 driver, 12.7 piston diameter), and the DD-18 (massive 18 driver, 15.2 piston diameter). The Digital Drive Series features Velodynes revolutionary Digital Drive room management technology that takes subwoofer room equalization to a new level. This latest Velodyne innovation allows the subwoofers frequency response in any room to be measured and digitally corrected in real-time using a supplied microphone, and stored in the units memory to assure ideal performance in the consumers listening area.

Submitted by Yves a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Bottom Line:
I have been using this sub for a little less than a year and I love it.
The bass is very deep and solid.

If you only want big sound effect, you can by a cheaper sub, but if you are into music, then this is the SUB.

After room equalisation, reponse was flat (within 1 DB) down to 16HZ! At first, the sound did not seem natural with some music, I then realize that my main speaker where not able to reproduce the lower note (even if the spec said so); so I was listening to the second harmonic and up (20hz would come up as 40hz).

You can feel the power of this sub without the boominess of other sub

Submitted by SteveH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
I didn't see any reviews on the DD-15 so I decided to put my two cents in...
The Digital Drive series has a ton of features that can prove to be THE best choice for your theater and or stereo system. I have heard dozens of subwoofers in my system (I am a dealer for many brands) and I own a DD-15 for my 18'x32'x8' room. Even forgetting about the room correction features that are amazing, the sub is tight and musical. Being sealed allows for tight base with easier than average placement options. Nearly every room that I have measured has some problem with standing waves. EQing is essential as not everyone can design the room ahead of time.
Here is why I love the DD so much:
For starters the on board DSP room correction system is well thought out and intuitive. Having on screen display (composite and SVIDEO) makes the interface very user friendly. I hate reading manuals; I didn't with the Velo.
The onboard "SMS-1" allows for a total of 6 different memories to be stored. I have set-up theaters that have a mode for the specific sweat spot, another for a blend from the top and bottom tier. If you need a little more "oomph" you can relax the servo in 10% increments adding as much as 3db (50% more output).
For those who do not know, the servo is a feedback loop that is hooked into the microprocessor to test its exact location 16,000 times a second. That feedback loop stops the driver from over or under shooting the desired location; hence the distortion is under a percent. Typical subs generate more than 10% distortion.
Those who critique the "servo sound" (I am not one f them) can relax the servo by dialing it back or even off. This also increased the effeciency and allows for more SPL output (up to 3DB). I use this as a memory mode as well (dialed back servo). So if you feel you are on the edge of needing more "woofage" you can dial back the servo to pick up as much as 3DB or 50% increase.
The list goes on and on as to why I own this sub in my system.
I should mention I personally don't prefer the DD-10. There are a lot of reasons for this and it all has to do with the compromises you need to make in order to get a small box. If you had questions about this, feel free to email me at sales@soundvideo.com even if you bought it from someone else. I'd be happy to help!
SteveH (Owner)

Purchased At:   Sound Video

Submitted by SteveH a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2006

Bottom Line:
I didn't see any reviews on the DD-15 so I decided to put my two cents in...
Here is why I love the DD so much:
The list goes on and on as to why I own this sub in my system.
SteveH (Owner)