Velodyne Acoustics DD-10 Subwoofers

Velodyne has achieved digital perfection with the Digital Drive Series subwoofers. The series consists of 4 digital subwoofers the DD-10 (10 driver, 8 piston diameter), the DD-12 (12 driver, 9.7 piston diameter), the DD-15 (15 driver, 12.7 piston diameter), and the DD-18 (massive 18 driver, 15.2 piston diameter). The Digital Drive Series features Velodynes revolutionary Digital Drive room management technology that takes subwoofer room equalization to a new level. This latest Velodyne innovation allows the subwoofers frequency response in any room to be measured and digitally corrected in real-time using a supplied microphone, and stored in the units memory to assure ideal performance in the consumers listening area.

Submitted by ShayneSintz a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2007

Bottom Line:
Budget limitations prevented me from upgrading a heavily aged AudioSource SW-15 since college. I'm surprised I continued to use it, given it's lack of transents and one-note bass. But after getting a really good deal on a pair of NHT Model 1.0A's, it just couldn't keep pace any longer. I started reading up on cost-no-option subwoofers and stumbled across Velodyne's 1812 model. Knowing Velodyne was likely way out of my $600-750 budget range, I looked at their model line anyways. I read about the DD drive's room correction/calibration solution and decided that there'd be no better way to integrate it with my main speakers. I couldn't find any other manufacturers that offered a similar calibration approach. I found a DD-10 within a week on AudioGon.com. Never hearing it in person, and based solely on customer reviews and velodyne's reputation, I took a chance and purchased it. 2.5KW of power in a 10" sealed enclosure with room-matching software... sounded good to me.

Setup was very simple, but absolutely requires the use of a TV/Monitor of some sort. The integrated room calibration functions cannot be accessed w/o one. I placed the sub in the usual position just off-center directly behind my listening chair in my 14x22x7 room. I ran through the auto-setup function after using the DD-10 to measure the -10dB down point of my mains.

Even with the servo function set to the most musical setting, the output is mind-altering, considering even something twice the size of this petite enclosure. At the same time, it retains a concussively-fast transient response even with the most congested music tracks. The sound is tuneful, and adds harmonically-accurate low end far beyond what I'd expected from any level subwoofer. It could be I just got lucky and found that one component that perfectly mates up with both my room and mains, or it could be that the room adapation software makes that much difference. I dunno. All I can say is that what were my pride and joy (the NHTs) are now the component that is having a hard time keeping up!

Well done, Velodyne.

Purchased At:   AudioGon

Submitted by Jesse111 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2007

Bottom Line:
I'm striclty 2 channel music. After years of subwoofer tweaking I am a firm believer in dual subs for music. Integrating subs is difficult to say the least but Velodyne software and servo control simplifies the task beyond words. In fact I personally don't think it can truly be done accurately with out it. Having spent a few hours with positioning and adjustment, I would have to say that the DD10's have integrated and performed perfectly for my taste. I wanted clean, musical bass. I wanted an extension of the low frequency for my 800D mains. I wanted to see, feel and hear the swift kick drum sounds in a drum kit. I did not want people to come in to my listening room and say "awesome bass dude". I did not want "big wow" boom bass. I did not want overhang or muddy bass. Velodyne has allowed me to realize all of these goals at once. Nothing is sacrificed. There is no trade offs. The bass is excellent. Controled musical bass that actually adds depth to the soundstage. The depth is gained by the realistic perception of the drum kit. Bass instruments, as well, fill the room with there presence without loosing their image in the soundstage. I had owned the DD18's for awhile. I found them to be too large. Too much air movement for accurate music in my 20x26x8 room. For truly critical music, the DD 10's are absolutely true musical performers with surgical precision for accurate bass. Placed a third of the way up the side walls from the front wall proved to be much more muscally accurate than corner placement.