Velodyne Acoustics CT-80 Subwoofers

4.56/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $379.00

8 inch forward firing woofer 100 watt internal amplifier 40 oz magnet, 33-130 Hz ± 3dB

Submitted by samr a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Bottom Line:
This sub is in my bedroom system, and does a great job of complimenting the very small satellites, blending particularly well since you can defeat the internal crossover and use your source component's bass management to tune it, something you cannot do on many more expensive subs. Can be a little boomy if too close to a wall, and doesn;t go really low, but I bought this one for $170 factory refurbished from Sound City with warranty from Velodyne, what a steal!!

Purchased At:   Sound City

Submitted by edbo a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub to go along with the BOSE AM-10 speaker system I also purchased at this time. The sub is a great value and really kicks, not just in HT mode but also my CDs have great bass too! For a good value, this Velodyne sub exceeds my expectations and really adds to the sound of my Bose system as well. For only an 8" sub, it really draws the low end very nice! No problems whatsoever in over 3 years of use. Although now, there are probably better sounding subs, this one has been awesome and Velodyne has excellent quality.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by Seasong46 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2002

Bottom Line:
I called Ciruit City and they told me they had the CT-80 for $249.99. When I got there, the sales associate said that they no longer stocked the CT-80 so I gave a listen to the CHT-8.I did not get any deal, I had to purchase it for full price.
That being said the CHT-8 is a fine subwoofer. I has real punch.The bass is deep and tight and very musical. I recently purchased a pair of Athena S2 speakers which go down to 50 Hz. I have the CHT-8 come in at about 70 Hz and it blends seamlessly with the Athenas.
This sub never sounds boomy, once the right crossover is calibrated. It adds a new dimention to my music listening. I have not used the CHT-8 for HT yet as I'm waiting for my Athena C1 center channel speaker to arrive.
The CHT-8 is a great little sub

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by KnightOfLore a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
Don't let the little driver fool you, this little unit is very capable - but is not for use in large rooms! Response is outstanding in rooms up to about 250sq ft, but starts to thin out as the room gets bigger. I've used this sub in my bedroom since I picked it up, the little driver is very snappy and I was impressed with the the features at this price. I would recommend this unit as a nice addition to an entry-level movie system in a small room, and perhaps even part of a music system though I have never been impressed with it's musicality.

Submitted by Enrico a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2002

Bottom Line:
This little sub has plenty of omph. The bass is extremely tight and when crossed over correctly (about 100 Hz), sounds great with movies. If you have a relatively small to medium size room, this sub is perfect. It's small woofer size gives you the advantage of very tight and snappy bass. I also have a 15" Audiosource sub which garnered great reviews on this board and it's not at responsive. If I remember correctly, the sub was about $250 since it was a floor model at Circuit City. For what I paid, it's been worth every penny. Might be a little expensive if paying retail, though. If you like a lot of bass (and who doesn't) pay the extra $$$ for the 10" model (CT-100). The size is still small enough to be quick/punchy and you get the advantage of more bass and more power.

Purchased At:   Circuit City (demo)