Velodyne Acoustics CT-120 Subwoofers

4.6/5 (94 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Sub Speaker

Submitted by ernesto62 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 15, 2016

Bottom Line:
This is a big subwoofer. I had the CT 120 in 1999 and a year I kept him then (sigh) sell it and move on to other models, including a velodyne HGS 12, a REL Storm III, a REL R-205. Finally I gave in evidence also a REL Stentor 5, and a Velodyne .The CT 120 is second to none. And in some ways it found to the best sub in for money and quality '. Films with big and beautiful too with the musicYou hear the bass up physically and also although well set is a pleasure to two channels

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought my CT-120 at Circuit City back around 1998 or so. I was given a demo CD with some great low bass freq sounds, all the way down to where you couldn't hear the bass but could feel it in your guts. So, it does get down there. As for muddy or boomy sound, I've never had a problem. I've had this on concrete slabs, 2nd story wooden floors, against drywall and against stone walls. It's always sounded great. I keep it about 40% volume and have the cross-over matched with my speakers. The only time I ever noticed a lack of bass was when I had it against drywall with my garage on the other side of the wall. It acted like it was sitting in the middle of a room. A quick relocation and the problem was fixed. I don't readjust the settings for different CDs or different types of music. I like my music pretty loud, and it sounds just as good playing Pop and Rock as it does playing Classical or Jazz or older R&B. The newer Rap and Dubstep sounds awesome too, just can't turn it up as loud as my stuff starts moving around in the house with all the vibrations. This "new bass" is much different than what we used to hear from Run DMC or the Beastie Boys.
The rubber feet came off during one move or another and I replaced them with some little foam discs. Worked fine. I've never used spikes and have never had the subwoofer move around on it's own accord. It just sits there doing what it's supposed to do. I have been looking at isolation methods, such as carpeted MDF on a piece of foam or some brackets with rubber in them. Some reviews say that will keep your porcelain figurines standing still in the curio cabinet and should even make the neighbors happy. Gotta run to Home Mart and get some supplies to try it out. Not paying some company $60-$500 for what looks like $10-$20 worth of stuff.
All in all, I like my sub and plan on using it until the amp dies or the roof collapses on it.
My two cents,
Dan

Submitted by andrew koh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub with no regret and decide to get another ct120 for my home cinema system.
My system consist of a Sherwood Newcastle rds945 mk 2,and all 5 speakers consist
Of b&w speaker and using monster photo cable for both my ct120 and after some ajustment
Done to my system,and playing action pack movie like the u571 submarine,the depth charge
Explosion was lifelike and powerful there no hint of boomines
s but powerful deep bass and for Mombasa such as motorbike sound awesome and can even
Vibrate my heart.it a very strong and clean bass this sub can produce and therefore decide to get another ct120 for better and stronger low level resolution bass.I have been using for more than 10 years and still in good condition,infact it's getting better and more articulate in bass extension.truly value for money.

Submitted by SystemTek a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
Best Subwoofer I ever heard, never clips and never had to use max volume, no complaints. Though I wish it had a variable hi/lo pass filter and a 1 cubic foot dimensions like the bob carver sunfire. May be for sale at

Submitted by pangl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is one very disappointing sub. Bass is boomy and loose. Cabinet design is cheap and without proper vibration control. It may be good for some low end home theater setup.

IMHO the ULD series is among the very best Velodyne subs out there (if not the very best subs). If you are serious about home theater or 2-channel, get the REL instead.

Purchased At:   eBay