Velodyne Acoustics CT-120 Subwoofers

4.59/5 (93 Reviews) MSRP : $600.00

Sub Speaker

Submitted by Dan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2015

Bottom Line:
I bought my CT-120 at Circuit City back around 1998 or so. I was given a demo CD with some great low bass freq sounds, all the way down to where you couldn't hear the bass but could feel it in your guts. So, it does get down there. As for muddy or boomy sound, I've never had a problem. I've had this on concrete slabs, 2nd story wooden floors, against drywall and against stone walls. It's always sounded great. I keep it about 40% volume and have the cross-over matched with my speakers. The only time I ever noticed a lack of bass was when I had it against drywall with my garage on the other side of the wall. It acted like it was sitting in the middle of a room. A quick relocation and the problem was fixed. I don't readjust the settings for different CDs or different types of music. I like my music pretty loud, and it sounds just as good playing Pop and Rock as it does playing Classical or Jazz or older R&B. The newer Rap and Dubstep sounds awesome too, just can't turn it up as loud as my stuff starts moving around in the house with all the vibrations. This "new bass" is much different than what we used to hear from Run DMC or the Beastie Boys.
The rubber feet came off during one move or another and I replaced them with some little foam discs. Worked fine. I've never used spikes and have never had the subwoofer move around on it's own accord. It just sits there doing what it's supposed to do. I have been looking at isolation methods, such as carpeted MDF on a piece of foam or some brackets with rubber in them. Some reviews say that will keep your porcelain figurines standing still in the curio cabinet and should even make the neighbors happy. Gotta run to Home Mart and get some supplies to try it out. Not paying some company $60-$500 for what looks like $10-$20 worth of stuff.
All in all, I like my sub and plan on using it until the amp dies or the roof collapses on it.
My two cents,
Dan

Submitted by andrew koh a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2012

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub with no regret and decide to get another ct120 for my home cinema system.
My system consist of a Sherwood Newcastle rds945 mk 2,and all 5 speakers consist
Of b&w speaker and using monster photo cable for both my ct120 and after some ajustment
Done to my system,and playing action pack movie like the u571 submarine,the depth charge
Explosion was lifelike and powerful there no hint of boomines
s but powerful deep bass and for Mombasa such as motorbike sound awesome and can even
Vibrate my heart.it a very strong and clean bass this sub can produce and therefore decide to get another ct120 for better and stronger low level resolution bass.I have been using for more than 10 years and still in good condition,infact it's getting better and more articulate in bass extension.truly value for money.

Submitted by SystemTek a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2010

Bottom Line:
Best Subwoofer I ever heard, never clips and never had to use max volume, no complaints. Though I wish it had a variable hi/lo pass filter and a 1 cubic foot dimensions like the bob carver sunfire. May be for sale at

Submitted by pangl a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2005

Bottom Line:
This is one very disappointing sub. Bass is boomy and loose. Cabinet design is cheap and without proper vibration control. It may be good for some low end home theater setup.

IMHO the ULD series is among the very best Velodyne subs out there (if not the very best subs). If you are serious about home theater or 2-channel, get the REL instead.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by sowen a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2004

Bottom Line:
The CHT-120 is a very quirky unit. It is more sensitive to room location than any other sub I have ever heard. It will take time to find its proper placement. For those who have a spot designated for their subwoofer, and are not willing to put it somewhere other than that, this sub is not for you. If you don't find its "sweet spot", this sub will be the weakest, deadest, most terrible sub you will ever hear. BUT, if you are willing to experiment, you will be rewarded to an experience second to none. Your neighbors and your neighbor's neighbors will be calling you to complain about their walls shaking. That being said, the CHT-120 is not for the weak of heart. It is loud, very loud, the rest of your system will have to work very hard to keep up with it.

Musically, it is probably not the best choice. It has a very low voice and it accentuates room resonances. What I mean is this, if you run a 200-20hz sweep, it is nice and smooth until it reaches about 60hz, once you reach the resonance frequency of your listening room (every room has one), it gets ridiculously loud (+6db) and stays loud to right at 20hz. Reviews have stated this sub is one of the only ones ever tested to achieve a clean 20hz output. They are correct. But I believe, in order to achieve this, the enclosure was tuned to play very, very, VERY low. If you plan to run this sub alone, you will need full towers to even out the sound. The CHT-120 plays more like a 15" or even an 18" sub.

The CHT-120 is a very good piece, well designed and purpose built. If you are serious about your system, it will not work well on its own. Any audiophile will tell you, no sub is capable of covering the full musical range of bass in music. My solution to this problem was to add a Polk 10" sub to the mix. I set the x-over on the Polk to 100hz and the Velodyne to 60hz. The Polk, and almost any 10" sub, plays very tight but has very little below about 50hz, but that is where the Velodyne shines. This arrangement makes the transition and musical range seamless. The CHT-120's volume is set to about 20% and the Polk is about 50%. This arrangement is the smoothest, and most consistent, I have ever heard, anywhere PERIOD. Musically, almost perfect for any style. Movies will snap like never before.

Purchased At:   Circuit City