Velodyne Acoustics SPL-1000R
Description: The industry's best selling small subwoofers just got better with the perfect combination of beauty, brains and brawn. We took the original SPL Series II's 1000-watt RMS amps, long throw drivers, and compact, beautiful cabinets and added a 6-band automatic digital room equalizer with included mic, a remote control and full DSP control. The result is a subwoofer that adapts to any room's décor and acoustic anomalies with performance that leaves anything else in its class in the dust. The SPL-R Series - Small, Precise...Loud. Simply Perfect.

Submitted by audio fanatic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2011

Bottom Line:
well..velodyne subs have always been in my system..so i traded in my old vrp-100 ..and picked up the spl100r.....what a great loud controlled sub..after running eq, the bass is tight plays low and defenitly musical its hard to find a sub that does home theater and also sounds great with music..this sub does both with perfect results..i have a harmony one remote ( all setups should have one)..and i programmed it to also control the velodyne..now complete control over all my componets..this sub is just amazing..as is all of veledyne subs...looks great and wife approved..a.big plus!....anyway gotta go ..time for a movie!

Submitted by FRANKI1955 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2008

Bottom Line:
After setting up the EQ and playing around getting it just right this subwoofer is really fantastic. At first I was going to get the 1200r but this thing is so powerful, it would have been a waste of money. My living room is around 20 by 15, 16, something like that. Anyway listening to the latest King Kong movie is almost scary. This movie by the way gives the sub a really good workout. The quailty of the bass is just incredible. I really can't go above 30 on the volume because things in the room start to vibrate, but really if your listening room is around my size anywhere between 30 and 40 is going to be very loud and pricise. I had wanted a Velodyne for a long time and I am not disapointed. The only way to truly listen to this sub is to take it home and set it up in your listening room. Going to the store and listening to it in a sound room will not do it justice. This sub by the way is replacing 2 Yamaha YST-160'S 100w each. I had thought these subs were doing a pretty good job, I just did'ent know what I had been missing. Just go and buy one.

Purchased At:   B@O Pasadena

Submitted by account a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
After suffering 6 months with my crap quality Yamaha Yst-sw515 Sub (which is a distortion, clipping and air-blowing woofer), I decided to replace it with another sub. After searching online for quite sometime, I finally settle for REL R205 and Velodyne SPL – 800R, both very reputable companies.

I first head down to the Velodyne showroom to check out their subs, the guy there recommended a CHT-12R and SPL-1000R, as my room size is too big for a 800R. He went on to demonstrate both subs, and I found both doesn’t produce punchy bass that can be felt and both sounded almost the same even though the SPL cost about twice as much that the CHT series. As I use my system for movies only, punchy bass is very important! The guy then brings me and my wife to another showroom as he mention it could be the acoustic environment in the previous room. Again no punchy bass there but this time I can tell the difference between the CHT and the SPL. The bass of CHT sounded more spread out and the SPL produce tight quality bass, the difference is really big. So then he recommended the SPL-1200R which sounded slightly better than the 1000R but still not the punchy bass I wanted. He then went on to another demonstration with the coffee table size CHT-15R, and woala! I found the bass I want, real deep punchy bass that rumbles my chair and probably the customers outside the showroom. Even my wife who doesn’t know about audio turned and said, this is very good, just like watching movie in the theater!

But deep down I don’t believe the SPL-1000R and SPL-1200R couldn’t perform as intended, and soon I notice one problem. The subs were placed almost right in the middle of the room. So I requested to have them placed right in front where the coffee table sub sits. And immediately they sounded much punchy than before although still not as I’ve intended to hear. The guy also mention because the floor is carpeted and the wall covered with fabrics, the bass tended to be about 30% - 40% less punchy. So I’m left with only the SPL-1000R, SPL-1200R and CHT-12R. He then offered me an option, I can get the SPL-1000R or CHT-12R first, and if it’s not the bass I want, I can return the SPL-1000R and bring home the SPL-1200R and just top-up the difference. In the end, I chose SPL1000R as the quality of the bass is so much better than the CHT series.

Back home I did some testing with my 1000R, and immediately the sub blew me away; the SPL can produce so much bass in such a small enclosure!! Soundtracks that made my Yamaha SW515 clip and distort was playing effortlessly with my 1000R, and I’m only using about 40% of what the sub is capable of! After running the so simple EQ on the sub, there was an immediate change, the bass is down right tight and solid deep, no more bloomy and distortion. I can hear a much wider dynamic in my system and sounds that are non-existence previously. I’m quite sure if I push this sub to the max it’s going to shake my windows to shatter, break my doors and the doors my neighbors! If I had gotten the SPL-1200R, I think my house is going to be destroyed. I’m very amazed to what this sub is capable of; everything about this sub is a wow once I hit the play button. Guys at Velodyne really made something solid there, thanks~!

Price Paid:    $2099.00

Purchased At:   KEC

Submitted by KPChoong a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2007

Bottom Line:
Recently sold my Sunfire True Subwoofer as I had persistent problem with integrating the Sunfire with the rest of my speakers (both audio & AV). Perhaps, the issue was room influenced, as there was a pronounced "boom" to whatever setting I dialed in on the Sunfire. Room treatments could not even address the problem adequately. Eventually, I gave up and sold it. In considering a new purchase, I determined that the new sub should have some sort of "room tuning" capability aka equalization that would flatten the in-room response of the subwoofer so as not to excerbate room boundaries or resonances (as I had with the Sunfire). Hence, the choice was narrowed to the Velodyne SPL series with an automated EQ facility. Just to ensure that there was the difference to the EQ feature, I tried the Velodyne SPL1000R without using the EQ first, and the results were no better than with the old Sunfire. Horrors of horrors the sound was untamed, fat, and boomy. Once the automated EQ was engaged, the transformation was hard to believe! What was once uncouth and boomy bass was turned into the most tight, deep (real deep) and tuneful bass I have ever encountered in a sub. Gone are the room resounances especially the boominess, and uncontrolled bass output. In its place are the most exquisite bass I have ever come across in my own experience or that of my friend's set up. The SPL1000R mates excellently with both of my resident system - great with stereo, the bass goes real down low and deep if such was there in the first place. With video, the LFE was astounding - deep, deep growls, and real low lows! I have gone back to re-visit with many of my DVD's that didn't quite come to grps with the old set up. Movies like the Jurassic Parks series, Terminator, Lord of Rings, Starwars, etc took on a new experience. Many subs may give you excessive bass or output, but the Veldodyne offers quality bass - tight, deep, & low - without the looseness or boom. A real gem this Velodyne with the EQ feature. Don't ever get a real sub-woofer without this feature. It will save you $$$ trying to rectify the room limitations with acoustic treatments. The slightly higher price of the Velodynes with the EQ feature will pay great listening and movie viewing experience. My advise: don't ever get another sub without an EQ feature - it's that important !

Purchased At:   KL MY

Submitted by curtis nunley a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2006

Bottom Line:
I recently had a audio and video tech come to my house and optimize my entire system. money well spent. He suggested I get a larger subwoofer since mine was not big enough to maxamize my systems performance. He suggested I go with the Velodyne spl series. I bought it at Tweeter after listening to some cd's and dvd's I had brought. I am still trying to learn all of its features. Overall I am, very happy with my purchase.

Purchased At:   tweeter