Velodyne Acoustics DLS-3750R / CHT-10R
Description: <P>Velodyne now brings the power and precision of Digital Signal Processing (DSP) to a new series of very affordable, high-performance, remote-controlled subwoofers. The Distortion Limiting System (DLS-R) Series subwoofers consists of the DLS-3500R with an 8" forward firing driver (6.3" piston diameter), DLS-3750R with a 10" forward firing driver (8.2" piston diameter), DLS-4000R with a 12" forward firing driver (9.9" piston diameter), and DLS-5000R with a 15" forward firing driver (12.7" piston diameter). Each subwoofer features four presets on its remote control for movies, rock music, jazz/classical and games, allowing you to select the perfect bass without ever leaving your chair. All the adjustments of these subwoofers can be made using the remote including volume control, night mode, low-pass crossover and phase. The DLS-R Series deliver bass the way it was meant to be heard - loud and deep with incredible impact and lower distortion. </P> <P>The specifications on the CHT-R are the same as the DLS-R Series, except the power requirements for the CHT-R Series are 230V and 50 Hz.</P>

Submitted by Al Brown a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Bottom Line:
I have the CHT-10R and have to say I'm very happy with this sub, easy to set up, simple remote with useful presets. Very accurate and tight bass. Digital Sound Processing, good build quality. I can see why "What Hi Fi" gave it 5 Stars.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by SPL_Legend a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
Have this in addition to a Paradigm PW-2200 and a set of Velodyne Subcontractor series 8's with the SC-1250 dedicated amplifier. I added the DLS-R 3750 just to fill the void between the 8's and the 12. Wow. This thing is borderline garbage if you have any clue about nice sounding bass. When I first got it, I started calibration with only it connected. It is so boomy and uncontrollable I almost put it beside the garbage bin. Instead, I played around for ~3 hours messing with position and phase. I managed to make it reasonable. I basically had it limited to a 40Hz range just doing a little job, because anytime I tried to give it a larger job it went bananas. if this was the ONLY woofer a person had, and that person did not know any better, then this would be reasonable value for the money. Like, if you have a 15 year old child with his xbox in the basement this woofer would probably make him happy. To me, it was like listening to teeth gnashing. I finally had enough and picked up a Velodyne SPL-R 1000 yesterday. I am now able to open up the range. This thing fits in perfectly. Full bodied rich deep bass that hammers the correct mid-low end that I needed. It has the power to keep up with the rest of the equipment in the room. The SPL-R is by no means audiophile grade, however when compared to the DLS-R series it sure sounds like it. My humble opinion is that the DLS-R series is a blemish on Velodyne's resume and should be discontinued. The customer who does not know enough to buy a 'real' Vedodyne series subwoofer (DD) etc should be looking at the entry level garbage made by competitors. Why Velodyne wants a part of this niche is beyond me?

So, if you know bass/music and have multiple woofers you might as well place your DLS beside mine at the garbage bin. Spend the extra money and get something that can actually drive and be configured. If you just have a whiny child who you want to appease with a cheap loud assed woofer, then buy them this thing. Just dont pay sticker price, please.

cheers

Product model year:   2008

Submitted by audioholoc a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2009

Bottom Line:
On Aug. 9th I purchased the DLS-3750R. I am returning it this morning. Who in the name of what wants or needs a remote on a sub woofer?. Nothing in the manual told me where the LED was located. Nothing told me whare the infrared sensor was located. And a blue, difficult to see, LED! Egad and gadzooks! I was not impressed with the bass response nor with the operatikon of the controls on both the unit and the remote. I am trying to replace an older model (2002) CHT-8 What a beautiful sub woofe r; a 5 star rating for sure . The excellent, sharp, clear bass would render the windows rattling if desired. It was a beautiful sub woofer and a great loss when it became inoperable. This one is not. I was told by one of your technicians that it would not be worth repairing. Now I am not so sure of that. After I return it I will look at others. I had a Klipsch but returned it. Now I am wondering if I shoud have done so. You want to discuss this with me? (905-934-3119 or my e-mail)! More characters available?; you do not wish to hear them!

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by Edgar a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2007

Bottom Line:
Setup is easy, however, still having problems setting subwoofer volume level between movies and music. Low volume on movies and boomy on stereo/music. Sounds better on setup at store than my house.

Purchased At:   Allstar Audio

Submitted by wolvex10 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
Not a world class performing sub, but a very nice value for 500 bucks. When I originally hooked up the sub and performed a bsic smoke test (does it work) I was disappointed with its gruff raspy and boomy voice. I almost abandoned it right there. But I thought I'd see how close I could get the sub to tollerable.
I was quite surprised. I brough the volume up to about two thirds, took the sub out of direct mode and gave the cross over a chance at 85hz and set my receiver to 100hz and was pleased with the over all performance although it clearly was way more pressure than the rest of the system was generating. So then I level set the receiver and hand calibrated using a Radio shack SPL meter. ... OK, not so bad. Voices were still a little over done and some LFE that should be subtle wasn't but the big stuff, like Tom Hank's Tommy Gun in Road to Perdition were shockingly good and vivid.

So a tad more tweaking left me with two basic settings in the Subs memory. One for regular TV and one for movies. TV is just for TV where there is just too much noise making its way to the sub. The Movies setting worked quite well for digital sources with a defined LFE track as well as all of my music.

My recomendation is that its a good sub if you have the time and know how to tame it.

Purchased At:   Sound Advice