Velodyne Acoustics CHT-12
Description: Powered Subwoofer

Submitted by daventn a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2004

Bottom Line:
have owned a velodyne va10-12 sub 4 over 10yrs and purchased the cht12 about a month ago-what a surprise!Have them daisy-chained and only need to run one at a time.This sub kicks major tail!Looked at Paradigm and could not find a a sub that rivaled my old for less than a grand.Gladly purchased the Cht12 and havent looked back since-Velodyne is still KING in the how low can you go catagory!!!!!!!!!!Highly recommended!!!!!

Purchased At:   circuit city

Submitted by dinon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
the sub is the most 12' I ever seen, that can go so deep. despite of the cheap look, it supprised me right out of the box. I purchsed it open box at circuitcity, for $350, a great deal for me. I have owned the Def Teck TL15. this Velodyne sounds very similar to the DefTech which is a little bit deeper. This sub actually from the CT line with slighly change the look.
It pump out the very deep and clean bass all the way to 25, no kidding
Thanks to the Servo controled in the sub which always keep the sound in control wihtout distortion. I beleive the CHT-12 sounds the best in CHT line. the CHT-15 is more powerful but to slow for music. I picked the CHT-12 over the CHT-15 since I listen to music more. The CHT-12 blow all the JBL, Polk, infinity or even the Klipsch subs all the way anyday. you have to own all of those subs and actually listen to all to beleive me .
I quite heavy to move around.
The 2 things I like most from this sub are: The servo control technology and highpass filter at 80 hz - 100 hz.

Purchased At:   circuitcity

Submitted by agidol a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2004

Bottom Line:
I jusst traded in Velodyne CHT 10 subwoofer for a CHT 12 model - thanks to Circuit City's speaker trade-in policy - since the CHT 10 sounded too small for my 23*13 living room that opens to a dining room and a foyer. I wasn't sure whether 2 inch and 20 watts would make that difference but after finding a right placement I immediately heard the difference. Bass sounded much deeper and louder yet it was still as tight and clear as the CHT 10 model. Velodyne is my first subwoofer so I can't compare this to any other products but it surely opened my HT and music experiences to a new dimension.

Purchased At:   Circuit City

Submitted by ATPEACE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2004

Bottom Line:
I've read just every review on this sub I could find, and the only true negative one on this sub, was a guy who brought his on Ebay (1st mistake), just about everything over there is overpriced and often times used, even though the description says otherwise, and then to expect this sub to perform like a $1000+ sub (2nd mistake), this is a great sub in $500 or less range.... this thing does everything I have expected and more. I don't have a $20,000 system, nor do expect my system to sound like one, to tell the truth I don't know what that system is suppose to sound like.... but what I do know is when I have friends over, and I turn this thing on, they are amased at the depth this sub will go, and it blend so well with my Polk Audio 6700 series that sometimes you can't pinpoint where it's coming from. I have it on 1/2 volume and on some DVD's that's too much, and on CD's I turn it to 1/4. I had a Klipsch SW 8, and that thing SUCKED! It could'nt handle any sort of bass, if that thing heard the word bass it would start popping. But the Velo CHT 12, it's a huge improvement over what I had, the sub is fast, not boomy at all (location, location, location), and no, popping at any volume... it has taken everything I can give, or at least what my wife will allow :) Sorry, I don't know all The technical "bla-bla", cause I don't walk around my house with a "whatchamacallit", to measure "whatever", I'm like most people, I use my ears, and my wifes' mouth to measure "whatever". So if you're looking for a great sub at a great price (1st) get a Velo CHT 12, and (2nd) stay away from EBAY......

Purchased At:   Electronics Expo

Submitted by roulettedealer3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I replaced my 2nd JBL PSWD112 with this unit and now truly appreciate the difference in quality. I waited about 6 mos to reveiw, because I wanted time to tweak and move it around the room. Awesome is the only word to describe this Sub! I wish I had made the switch 2 years ago. I grabbed an Open Box Buy at Circuit City, for a great price. The system I use it with is:
HK AVR 630