Velodyne Acoustics SPL-1200
Description: 12" foward firing woofer 750W RMS power 22-120 Hz

Submitted by BHR a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Bottom Line:
Use to have big speakers: Carver Amazings, large ADS, etc, and moved to a smaller space and replaced with Focal 907Be speakers and needed woofer to finish the project. Purchased several sub woofers at lower cost and was never happy until I got this unit, and am totally happy with this on all music as well as movies.

b

Submitted by cave jeff a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
First things first, this is a review of the SPL II 12" with 1000 watts RMS, not the old SPL 12" that had 750 watts. There is no page dedicated to this new sub yet. Whomever monitors these review pages needs to create that page for this new subwoofer that is replacing the original SPL line.

I have been waiting for this sub for a long time. I really wanted the HGS sub, but when I heard the SPL at an audio store in Dallas side by side with the new DD sub, I didn't hear a significant difference, especially one that warranted dropping twice the price just for saying I had the top-o-the-line Velodyne. Velodyne SPL II is an awesome product. I just purchased a 7 channel setup and now I have the .1 to round it out. My setup is a Denon AVR 3803 (which I reviewed last week - love it!) with Infinity towers, a Polk center channel and Polk surrounds. I was already impressed with the 3803 from the minute I turned it on, but now with the sub, my house really and truly sounds like a great theater. My house is adobe so it is solid as a rock (no floating floor) but still the sub shook everything. Of course I ran through some great sub testing materials to see how well it went low and stayed low and loud(The intro battle scene in Lord of the Rings, the new Indiana Jones THX DVD scene out of Raiders of the lost Ark where Indy steals the little gold statue and then gets chased by the rolling rock, then the intro scene from Last Crusade and the train chase, plus a really cool feature on the Indian Jones box set, which has a nice, basic THX system setup for audio and video (even though my reciever isn't THX certified, it still helps). The audio test has a bass tone sequence that goes from 200Hz to 20Hz. Wow!) Then I switched to some TV material that wasn't Dolby Digital/DTS encoded. The reciever switched automatically to DTS Neo 6.1 surround, and that sounded cool from my sub too. I watched a few rap videos that had some very low bass, and it held together pure, strong, and most important, clean. I was in heaven. Now, for those who really want to know the merits of a woofer, pure ground pounding bass isn't all that there is to a sub. The best subs play clean, sweet and musical at all volume levels, and especially for multi-purpose systems such as mine (tv/movie/music) you want a sub that can do musical bass as well as spaceship exploding bass. So I listened to a variety of music. Perfection. At least to my ears and my acoustically imperfect listening room. It hit the notes it should and did it without intruding on the main speakers. It blended very well with the main components and the bass didn't appear localized.

I only wonder what it would sound like with a better listening space.

I liked the look of the cabinet, and the cone was impressive too. I got the piano black gloss, and that looked sharp.

The sub really is small and will fit just about anyplace. Also, it is magnetically shielded (not the 8" version, just the 10"and 12") so I might move it over by my tv.

Purchased At:   ASL Home Entertainme

Submitted by Serge Ah-Hee a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2003

Bottom Line:
Note.. I paid 1500 CDN, not US $.

Where do I start... I initially got this sub and it worked flawlessly. I could not believe the bass that this little box can emit. The bass is very very tight. The bass it produces is energetic , and musical. The sub never seem ti drown the speakers as it complement them well, even when using the speakers at it's full range. The speakers I have are the Energy C-4's as mains, and AC-300 as center. I'll be upgrading these to Totem Model 1's and Twin model 1 for the center.

The battle scene in The Fellowship of the Ring was amazing with the sub. The rumble was felt throughtout the whole room. This sub can perform in a large 12x30 room. The bass was never tiring. I have to say that I did not know what I was missing until I got the sub.

Musically the sub performed better than I expected. As I mentioned, bass was tight, and energetic. Never was I tired of hearing the bass.

Unfortunately, I question the manufaturing quality of this sub.

After 4 months of normal use, the amp let go. I had it repaired, but on return, the autoswitch is defective. Whenever it auto-on/off, I hear a loud "toc" sound, and the auto-on does not trigger at moderate volumes.. so back to the shop for a second time....Please let me know if you had experienced this problem, I would like to know if it is common.

I would rate this 5, but because of it's reliabilty , I would have to rate this 3.5

Submitted by sshamblin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2003

Bottom Line:
Having owned two other subs , a Velodyne F1200R and a SVS, this sub is best for my particular taste. The older Velo I owned was great and I loved the remote. When it came time to upgrade, I took many friends' advice and bought a SVS 20-39 CS. Don't get me wrong, it almost blew my windows out of my house, but was absent when I was listening to music or anything below high volume. (I have a sub because of having in-wall speakers and wanting to fill the gap left by their narrow frequency response.) I also have it to blow the windows out when the occasion arises. So, I returned the SVS (they told me I was the first to do so for that particular sub - who knows) and went shopping for another thinking that Velodyne was surely outdone by some of the newer sub makers since the last one I bought in '95. After reviewing almost everyhting out there, the SPL1200 is perfect for me. It is great at low volumes, silky smooth, and tons of power when you need it. I also like the front firing feature so I can put it in a wall enclosure to hide it.

Submitted by sjs88 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I really couldn't be more happy with this sub. It does every thing I want it to and more. I prefer it with movies over music but it is still a good musical sub. Fast and tight bass response to down near 20Hz.
More power than I will ever need. I have not had this sub above 5 on the (volume) level yet and probally never will. Sometimes with music it seems I have to turn it down a bit because it seems to over ride my mains A bit. If you like hard, loud, tight bass this is a great sub that can be had for less than $900 on line. Give it a try.

Purchased At:   Reliable A/V