Velodyne Acoustics F-1800R II
MSRP  1999.00
Description: Servo 15in woofer, 250W amp

Submitted by dlwagner a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
I have the same problem as other velodyne subwoofer owners. Humm and then the speaker trying to self destruct with loud rapid explosions. Before that started, the volume control liked to constantly turn itself to max. Can't wait to see what velodyne is going to rape me for a new Malaysian made amp.

Purchased At:   lightly used/2002

Submitted by Abbey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
This subwoofer was sold new in May 2000. In Australia, they sell slow because of the price (RRP $5200). In fact, it was the final F-1800R2 to be sold new (as verified by the distributor). It was made in 1997. The original owner may have abused it, but it was working fine. I expected good inbuilt protection given the high price. However, this proved to be not the case. I must say the bass was excellent. Next to my previous Velodyne VA-1215X2, the huge beast was tighter and went lower. I contacted the distributor prior to purchasing. His advice was "nothin' wrong with it, the sub is built like a tank, they rarely come in for repair". So I took the risk and bought the sub off the original owner. Within 4 months of low level use and TLC, the servo mechanism "kicked the bucket". I had to change the entire driver at considerable cost. Now, over the phone, the distributor said "the problem is the servo mechanism, I've repaired many. You'll need to change the entire driver". This contrasted sharply with his previous advice. Anyway, he was correct. It was the servo. One thing further irritated me. Low level hum was easily detected from the listening position. Over time, it really got on my nerves. The distributor said "They don't hum. They make a gushing noise. It's the servo. You can't do anything about it. They all make the noise!" Sure enough, I tried eveything, including a cheat plug. No luck! Whether it hums or gushes, it is noise. Thankfully, I didn't lose much money when selling it. Was I happy to see it go? You bet! Will I buy a HGS-based Velo again? Not likely! Pity I sold the VA. I had it for 4 years and it never let me down. No noise. Unfortunately, while the VA was great with movies, it was terrible with music. It is gone and so is the 18 inch beast. Maybe the new owner of the beast will not have a problem with it now. He shouldn't provided he doesn't push it too hard. It can't handle it. I know some people are prepared to live with the noise but I'm not, particularly at $5200 retail. I wonder what the HGS18 is like?? It should be better at $6000 retail. Is it?

Purchased At:   USED -- PRIVATE SALE

Submitted by Bob Traylor a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2001

Bottom Line:
Just picked up an F1800RII last week and noticed a slight low hum through the speaker. Although I have a Tice line conditioner, couldn't get it quiet.
Velodyne says this was the first of the more powerful "D" series amplifiers and the hum problem is solved by using a cheater plug (three prong to two prong converter). Got one and sure enough, no buzz.
Velodyne says if the cable comes out of the side of the back, like mine, it's an earlier model. Says they didn't know of the problem when the product shipped in 97' because it depends on electricity in your area and appliances etc. if the buzz shows up. they claim the problem was corrected when the cable came out of the center of the back. Some of these models are labeled F1800RII and some FSR 18. The company claims they have wresteled with this problem off and on over the years because the new amps were so powerful. 600 watts for the F18RII and 1230 for FSR 18.
If this doesn't solve your low hum or buzzing problem, Velodyne seemed very willing to help me go after additional fixes.
Hope this helps -

BT

P.S. I may be hung up on the Volodyne sound, but I think they have the sweetest low end on earth.

Submitted by Jani Pesonen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I bought my unit second-hand.

This subwoofer impressed me at first hearing. F-1800RII had well controlled, dynamic and deep bass. It's capabilities seemed unlimited in my listening room. In the beginning I used it as lfe-subwoofer x.over defeated, but afterwards I tried it in paraller (speaker level) with my Mirage OM-10 speakers. It worked out which was a little bit surprising because Mirage's have quite extended low-end as well. Anyway, since that I also used it for music. With normal popular music it was very inaudible like a good subwoofer should be. I didn't always turn it on, when I knew that the record I was listening didn't contain any low notes. Remote-control became very handy. Velodyne was excellent with church organs. I could feel the air moving at lowest passages. Unfortunately it was too much for my walls. I tried to damp every resonance (paintings and stuff) but it was the whole wall-structure shaking.. So, because of resonances I could not listen at high volumes. Still F-1800RII gave nice extended bass tunes at moderate listening volumes (which is about 70-80dB for me). With movies this was one killer sub. It scared me several times. Nothing really comes even close to it fi you're into a movies...

Well.. just listen to it! BTW, this is better than FSR-18 and HGS-18 models (imo) so, if you can get nice second-hand unit go for it!

Jani Pesonen
pesonen.jani@jippii.fi

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Submitted by Moravic a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Bottom Line:
My unit developed a noise problem: it emits an electronic rushing sound that is easliy audible 12' away.

It has been into the shop, and back to Velodyne, twice, and has not been fixed. I have yet to determine if the unit is within spec (if so, be warned!), whether they can't find the problem, or if they are denying this obvious problem exits. Visitors to my listening room find that the noise is obvious enough.

If not for the noise and difficulty in resolving the problem, I'd probably give the product four (or more) stars each for value and overall rating. However, the noise is a serious flaw and Velodyne can't or won't fix it. Factoring in the downtime and the pain in shuttling this 100 ib. monster to the dealer and back....