Velodyne Acoustics F-1500
Description: 15" SERVO CONTROLLED SUB WOOFER

Submitted by Joe a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Bottom Line:
I had to say my due as to the Velodyne F1500R. I bough this in the early '90's when it was new.It may be a dinasaur by todays standards but, it will hold it's own against anything around the money. I paid $1000,00 for it and was brand spanking new.No one note bass here or overhang thanks to the servo control/accelerometer. It's a tank and weighs as much as one too. It's accoustic suspension so no chuffing sounds out it's non-existent port. When locked in and pressurised it will shake the foundations and it will do so accurately and with control. Now here's where I get lambasted by audiophiles: I've since moved it into my very large bedroom to accomodate my Martin Logan Sources. Everyone and their mom would tell me it's too slow for the lightening fast Electrostatic panels but, don't forget the Source is blended with an 8 inch woofer. TAS reviewed it and raved making it their budget loudpeaker of the year. The reviewer ws hesitant as he never liked the discontinuity of fast panels and slow cones. The Source changed his mind about that and many other nuances he never cared for when it came to electrostatics.I'm telling you when dialed in properly, placed properly this Velodyne does very well with the Source, adding to it's low end and overall coherency. I rarely think I can hear it unless there's demanding LFR from the source but, it still makes itself scarce. It in no way takes away from the lightening fast panels w/integrated 8 inch woofer. It just opens the whole sound and sounstage. Now i'm sure there are many a better subs that would rival this combo but, I see no need as this does beyond fine. I've had it for 18 years and it's never let me down and is still in perfect working order. How much more accolades cn one bestow? Velodyne, baby, and nothing else need apply here. Highly recommended. AAA+++.

Submitted by EYEdROP a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2009

Bottom Line:
Before I bought this sub, I had a Paradigm PDR-10 (good for the $$ still IMO). I basically bought this sub from a private owner at $225 in great condition. My mains are B&O Beolab Penta's which are active. My room is too small, about 11x13 feet. The sub looks huge compared to the room itself. Setup was easy when I used the built in high pass with my Beolabs. I recommend using this method instead of blurring your sub and mains, as its too hard to integrate without tons of parametric EQ. My Paradigm is basically a joke compared to this sub. The F-1500 goes lower than my ears, but I still feel the rumble going lower and lower in my bones. Like many say, this sub puts lots of pressure in the room and can easily rumble the whole house down. But the bass is never ever boomy and spooky accurate sounding compared to my old Paradigm. The very lowest bass tones and harmonics just fill the room and complete the system, making it sound truly "full range". I cant say I have much subwoofer experience but now I know what real bass is, and that I need better bass traps that somehow go as low as this sub. It would also help if I were in a big room to let my full range system shine.

Submitted by Youthman a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
Picked up this sub, a pair of Klipsch CF-2 towers and a Klipsch KV-3 center channel speaker off a listing on www.craigslist.com for $250. The sub sounds amazing and can handle very deep bass with no problem. Does not sound muddy or boomy. Bass is very impressive for movies and sounds great for music.

Although this sub is over 10 years old, it absolutely blows my previous Velodyne CT-100 away.

Purchased At:   www.craigslist.com

Submitted by John Rolfe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
Beware of Velodyne customer service. They are arrogant and
condescending. When I called the repair department they picked right up on the specific trouble I was having. Right away that told me this might be a lemon issue, but I really wasn't prepared to hear the next words of encouragement. The guy actually told me he didn't trust any local Velodyne authorized dealers to make the repair, and that I should UPS this 100# mother back to the company.
When a company outright tells you they don't trust their own factory authorized repair shops - watch out.
Oh yes - I forgot to mention the repair cost. He told me I was looking at $300-400, but that he might have to replace the speaker too so that might raise it to $400-500.
I gave it to my church flea market sale!

Submitted by lucas film THX7.1 a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2001

Bottom Line:
very good very good
is superior a hgs series