unknown Final Sound S110 Subwoofers

Powered Subwoofer. 8". 100W.

Submitted by Nola a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2009

Bottom Line:
I added this product solely so that anyone thinking of buying one on eBay, etc will not suffer from the TOTAL lack of information or reviews on the internet as I did. Also, I'm recently unemployed so I have all SORTS of free time. Without knowing anything about it I bid anyway, as the bidding was so low that I'd only be out $100 if it sucked (earlier auctions ran in the $200 range, though).

It does not suck. Not by a long shot.

Final Sound is some Dutch company no one has ever heard of (not even listed in the A.Review manufacturer selector when you write reviews) and they specialize in ultra-modern electrostat speakers. This sub is designed specifically for that application but can be run with any imaginable setup. For instance, in addition to the speaker in/out, there is a line-level high pass OUTput in addition to the input. It's there for the electrostatic mains these are marketed with. It's great for those of you wanting to run you quality powered monitors / add to existing 2.0 computer rig instead of a bulky receiver/sat rig. In addition to the usual cutoff and gain levels, you also have a widely adjustable phase knob (plus the 0-180 switch) and an onboard 'EQ' knob to very SUBTLY shore up the absolute bottom of the bottom end should you not have too many placement options or have a bass-difficult room. Maybe there are other subs with this much interesting crap on the amp plate, but I haven't seen one. None of it is gimmicky, either. You can really tailor the hell out of this thing.

The unit does engender a feel of quality. It's a beautiful MDF with a piano finish, proper binding posts (springclips on anything but older speakers are hallmarks of cost-cutting). The driver itself seems like an epoxy laminate (not exactly sure of the base material) and runs a butyl surround. Before plugging her in, I was encouraged by these hints of being a solidly built unit, and not some 'white van' unit you sometimes end up with when buying without knowing the company.

Once I hooked it up, well, I was impressed. It's an 8" with a port, but I detected none of the boomminess or sharp mid bass peaks that often accompany lesser units with ports (all of them, it seems). Complicated low fq. music passages were handled with aplomb and I had a hard time getting this little sub to cry uncle. I ran her at excruciatingly loud levels that only deaf children learning to dance could have tolerated. No complaints from the sub. Nice so far! I continued to run her with music I was extremely familiar with, and heard every nuance that I was accustomed to from nicer subs in my past from Klipsch and Velo (I made more money,then). I ran some test waves from some website and found that the sub was absolutely FLAT down to 40, and useable to low 30's.. That's about as deep as you're gonna get in the real world from larger drivers, let alone a lil' 8" fighter.

I purchased this for use in my music/computer room, but I still ran the obligatory Jurassic Park test. It actually rivals my 12" Klipsch in the living room, at moderate levels of course. I'm not kidding. It reached down and grabbed some lows, and I was impressed. My room, btw, is appx. 18x23 (not huge, not small).
I'm mainly a music nut and was actually looking for a sealed box. The downfiring port on this model really adds nothing in terms of 'slipperiness' or flatulence, though I'm sure it aids in that Jurassic Park bit. Bottom line in terms of sound - as accurate and punchy as most good subs I've heard. Plenty of power (100w) for all but you true freaks.

I really want to stress all of the in/out and sound shaping options this lil' bas**rd has. I think you'll be pretty pleased with it. Again, I write this only so the next guy (or girl!) won't be bidding blind. I got mine for $100, shipped, but the one that sold just before mine fetched $200. I think I just got really lucky.

Bottom line: I know a thing or two, but not everything about speakers. This is no piece of crap. If I had paid $300 I would be satisfied. For what I paid at eBay I'm downright ecstatic.

There - the internet FINALLY has some info on this sub.