unknown DS12 Direct Servo 12" sub kit Subwoofers

DIY kit for a sealed box servo controlled subwoofer. Kit includes 370w plate amp with servo board and dedicated 12" driver with 36mm p-p excursion. Suggested plans for box construction are available on the website. Driver has a sensing coil which acts like a microphone sending back to the amp a signal which is used to correct deficiencies. The result is lower distortion and clean and articulate reproduction.

Submitted by paulspencer a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2008

Bottom Line:
In the past I was frustrated with trying to get subs to reproduce music accurately. I would EQ the subs and the mains to the same response, yet for the same output and frequency response, it was obvious when the subs were going. Bass was lacking detail. I didn't want to choose between HT impact and accuracy for music.

I bought two of these kits for my home theatre. My demands are more difficult than most. My mains are open baffle down to 80 Hz, so they require subs which are articulate up to 80 Hz. Most subs are need to be crossed at 40 Hz since they aren't accurate in the mid to upper bass region. Previously I had trouble when I tried to cross at 80 Hz even with a steep 4th order filter. What impresses me about these subs is that they can seamlessly integrate with accurate speakers.

When I first hooked them up they reminded me of the sound of some high end focal woofers. Those drivers alone, with much less output and no amp, cost more than this entire kit. The clean and uncoloured upper bass means you can enjoy the subtle nuances of acoustic double bass. Most subs seem to mask the detail. As a result, you end up crossing them low to minimise the damage.

Purchased At:   www.rythmikaudio.com