Sony SA-WM500
Description: <ul> <li>bass-reflex</li> <li>video-shielded</li> <li>150-watt amp</li> <li>12" long-throw woofer</li> <li>frequency response 20-200 Hz</li> <li>continuously variable 50-200 Hz low-pass crossover</li> <li>speaker-level inputs and outputs</li> <li>line-level input and output</li> <li>signal-sensing power on/off</li> <li>phase switch</li> <li>volume control</li> <li>black vinyl finish</li> <li>14-3/16"W x 16-3/4"H x 16-1/2"D</li> </ul>

Submitted by Taebin a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2006

Bottom Line:
I got this sub after Best Buy would not exchange my JBL PB12 for the new model number identical twin (service plan BS). I paid the employee price for the JBL which happened to be what I was getting for in store credit. I went over to the rack and grabbed the next best thing (I thought). When I got home and dialed it in I was extremely angry at the overpriced 500W 12 JBL .If you are considering buying this sub BUY IT just not at Best Buy. I have a small bedroom at my parents house at the moment and it still sounds awesome. I use it for movies and music. This sub has actually driven nails out of the walls in the next room!!! After a year of use and abuse it is still going strong with no worries. I will be getting another one soon to really get the place rocking! I listen to metal and hard rock, sub eats it all up!

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Sean a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2006

Bottom Line:
I purchased this product and received it 2 days ago and am very disappointed!! Not very deep bass at all. My 8 inch 190 watt woofers were better than this. It already has a tinny distorted sound to it and I have not turned it up to high to damage it at all. Has good power but not very good sounding at all. Would not recommend

Purchased At:   vanns.com

Submitted by guywithtruck a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
This sub is great for movies....low end is very decent..all the rumbles and gunshots are very well detailed. I used Monster Cable's Subwoofer 300 interconnect to hook this up to my amp.

As other reviewers have said, you need to turn it down when you listen to music...but I did notice some sounds on Linkin Park's 'Hybrid Theory' that were not there before I added the sub.

Overall, a great addition to my system. I should also add that this is my first sub, and I have not been disappointed. I had high expectations, and they were not let down. Worth every penny.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by wingmessiah a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
I love listening to action movies way too loud. If the Earth is blowing up in the movie, the Earth around me better be shaking as well. I listened to a friends Velodyne sub that cost him $700 and it sounded great but I just was not willing to pay that if it was not absolutely necessary. I read a lot of positive reviews about this sub and gave it a try. It is exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately I was in a hurry when I bought it so I paid $65 more than I had to but it's still worth double what I paid. I use a Monster cable and the net net on this thing is great.Killer for movies turn it all the way up. BUT the volume must be at about 50% for most music or it gets boomy. That's the only downside and that's hardly down, when you switch from viewing to music you have to make an adjustment. For $200 I can deal with that. Every time my house shakes a little tear runs down my face. A tear for my buddy who dropped $700 bucks on that Velodyne. This sounds/feels just as good. Also it's almost silly to even compare the two, but it's significantly more impactful as any Bose sub.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by MIKELE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2004

Bottom Line:
I purchased this sub because of the price and because of the 150 watt amp. (Not to mention the fact that sony was the only company that would give me credit.) Hooking this up using the subwoofer output of my Harman Kardon receiver, the output seems to be very low. I decided to hook it up using the speaker inputs which did improve the sound. However I find the base very boomy and bloated. There is also a lot of port noise. For the price, there has to be better out there. I finally got my hands on some money and decided to treat myself to an SVS sub. I'm still waiting for delivery but when I hear it, I will review that one too. The Sony sub is worth it.

Purchased At:   Sony Style