REL Acoustics Stadium III Subwoofers

4.94/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $2995.00

200 watt, high current, DC coupled internal amplifier, ARM™ loaded cabinet, 10" Volt driver.

Submitted by swhatley82 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
Purchased this remarkable sub from a family member who has upgraded to the stentor III... and trust me i was glad to get my hands on it!!!
With this sub only being used for music, i use the nutrik cable that directly connects to the speaker terminals at the back of my amp, so the sub gets the same signal as the speakers, and after a few hours of tweeking the sub blends perfectly, the soundstage becomes believable as the music now has a foundation to build upon..
Used in conjunction with my B&W CM7's, i set the crossover to 55htz and the speakers just sing!!!
this sub goes really deep but never overpowering, making your speakers sound bigger and more expensive, as the sub never draws attention to its-self... perfect!!

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by DJ NUKE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
Having now used this sub for nearly a year I have to say im still in awe. Every time I listen to some music or watch a movie I am amazed with the sound. This sub truely is incredible. When watching movies it just amazes me as to just how much bass this sub produces. Its totally out of proportion from what you expect a single ten inch driver to produce.

As you can tell I am very pleased with this sub as this is my second review of it and after having had it nearly a year I still think its awesome. BUY ONE!

Purchased At:   Martins

Submitted by DJ NUKE a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Bottom Line:
This sub is fantastic. After spending a little time properly setting and intergrating it it sounds fantastic. It plays the most subtle naunces in songs you may of listened to for years that you did not Know were there.

As for using it with home cinema well GOD HELP YOUR NEIGHBOURS.This thing can move cups of coffee across the table when the bass really gets pumping. The thing I like about this sub best is that it only draws attention to itself when required. Other than that it perfectly blends in with your systems sonic picture.

When listening to music it does so much for your systems sound its unbelieveable. With orchestral pieces it relays the recording venues sonic picture as well as relaying the cues from the instruments themselves making them sound more natual and realistic. Big drums sound like big drums. With other styles like rock and jazz the same cues are relayed for the recording venue and instruments but it also makes the overall sound more solid.

To sum it up this sub does everything a sub should and nothing it shouldn't. It is FANTASTIC. The things it improves in your system more than justifies the pricey outlay. Buy one!

Purchased At:   Martins

Submitted by Spider a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
I first heard the REL product line when shopping for speakers for a complete system upgrade. After hearing some OK results with the company's smaller models, my dealer recommended the Stadim as a perfect match to my B&W 802s. Granted, I was coming out of a very conservative Polk rig, so there was really no comparison there. But the thing that really got me was the ability to hook up to high and low signals simultaneously, which allowed for seemless integration when playing 2 channel stereo through mains only, but I was most impressed with the sheer power, and I mean effortless power of the conservatively rated class A amp. It had no problem pressurizing the room with LFE signals from DVDs like U-571, etc. I love it. And it fit perfectly in the room scheme.

Purchased At:   Sounds Like Music, P

Submitted by Finlay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
Prior to buying the Stadium III I had been using the Storm (original version) on and off for about 2 years. I was never quite convinced of its ability. The Stadium on the other hand is a fine piece of kit, even if some might bulk at the price and also mistake it for a storage trunk in the corner of the room as some recent visitors have done! Don't let either of these points deter you, if you read pages like this you are more than likely to be a Hi-Fi enthusiast and can except such minor points. It really is worth it too.

I became restless with the original REL, as I struggled to integrate it into my system. I felt this was mainly due to the filters and volume control which are poor compared to the Stadium - basically they are not as flexible or accurate. In a larger room than mine the Storm works fine by the way.

Having bought the 568.2 back in Nov 02, I really wanted to pursue a proper 4.1 set up (a centre speaker is not pratical at the moment) and so I tried a REL Quake from Audio T, feeling that my room was too small for a larger Sub. Wow! All things considered this is a fine little unit, but ultimately I felt that it was not quite refined enough for my needs. I listen primarily to Classical/Jazz/Pop/and typical heavy duty 5.1 DD and DTS films, so I am quite fussy over the sound.
Audio T had a demo Stadium, and I thought I would give it a go, assuming that this would just be a complete overkill. At this time I was more than convinced that I just needed the Storm III which I had yet to borrow.

My room measures (LxWxH) 3.9m x 2.9m x 2.4m, and its an upstairs room.... It took no time for the Stadium to integrate, and such was the subtle ease at which it drove my room, I could not quite believe it. This was after a very quick set up based around the other 2 RELs settings. Within about an hour I knew that I was going to buy it!

Due to having active front speakers, I can not connect the sub as REL recommend. Instead I can either connect the sub in parallel with the main speakers utilising the spare L & R phonos or via the sub out on the processor. Both methods work well, yet amazingly using the sub out option on the processor works really well, and that is the route I took. The other reasons are follows:

1) The room has a nasty room mode at about 44Hz which is roughly were the ATC's cut off. The idea of filtering the bass to the Stadium at this point seemed like a good idea, and in fact the filter is set to 50Hz.
2) Low frequencies require more amplifier power, and although the ATC's are awesome, I am happy with the REL handling these frequencies. The ATC's thus have greater headroom. There is also the fact that the REL is 'driving the room' by its design. My thinking being that the REL is working with the room rather than against it, within this set up.
3) It does sound rather good this way, even though I am applying a filter within the processor prior to the sound going to the speakers. I would never have had tried this route first, which just indicates how sound is not an exact science. It also confirms how good the REL is, since the ATC's are very accurate and transparent in the bass. They just lack some bass weight and absolute extension, which is no fault of their own, just design for what is a nearfield monitor. The REL fits in the missing gap without blurring the already excellent sound.

Finally, the Stadium (which is spiked) is used with:

Meridian 556 Power Amp for the 10's
Pioneer DVD 717
Pioneer CLD 2950
Videologic Tuner DRX 602 ES
Power cables are Kimber High Current power cords, with 6 and 8 way distribution blocks.
Analogue and Digital cables are care of Transparent (PDL for digital connections, Musiclink Super XLRs for the 20's, Musiclink for the Stadium, Musiclink Plus between 556 and 568)
The LD player to 568 uses the Kimber Optical cable. The DVD player uses Chord Company Prodac Silver.
The tuner runs with cables from the box.

Purchased At:   Audio T, UK