Polk Audio PSW505 Subwoofers

• video-shielded
  • slot-loaded enclosure
  • 300-watt RMS amp
  • 12" front-firing, long-excursion driver
  • frequency response 28-125 Hz (-3dB)
  • continuously variable 60-120 Hz crossover
  • unfiltered LFE input for 5.1 bass
  • line-level input
  • speaker-level inputs and outputs with binding post connectors
  • volume control
  • phase switch
  • auto on/off
  • real wood veneer
  • 15-1/8"W x 16-3/16"H x 17-5/16"D

Submitted by j a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2016

Bottom Line:
I'll keep this short. I smashed this pos on the ground after a long battle with port nois. It was sooo bad I had to turn the bass on the sub down to 1/8 and my lfe to 20 on my receiver and still when watching movies my friends would give each other the eye when the port fart would sound. This sound got so aggravating I returned it for a replacement. Thought problem solved right!? Wrong more port fart at low volume?? When trying to return it they wouldn't take it back and refund my money because of the port fart. So on my way home I swing by the dump and made sure I through it as far as I could lol. The next day I bought a 10" soundstage from Visions electronics and couldn't be happier, the bass is real, deep and clear. I don't know how anyone could stand this thing... If you're looking to purchase this sub DON'T I wouldn't pay more then 20$ for it. I paid $800 for this pos in Calgary AB Canada and I've never maid a worse purchase in my life. Put this pos on the bottom of your list and purchase anything else.

Submitted by themblues a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2011

Bottom Line:
Well I was looking for a sub for my computer system and my constraints were: 12"+; 300W+; and less than $300. I started this little adventure by buying a malfunctioning Def Tech PF15TL+ and trying to jury-rig it. Well I blew the amp as I tried to put a 4 ohm Dayton Titanic Mk3 woofer in it (that was what was malfunctioning, not the amp. And the Def Tech woofer is 8 ohm). Not sure if that's what did it, but whatever. I replaced the amp with an NHT SA-2 which sounded ok, but didn't really have enough "oomph." So I started searching again and Amazon and JR just dropped their price on the 505 to $229 SHIPPED. Well I can't believe there are any left on the planet at that price! Anyway it comes and I set it up right on top of my main sub (a fully working Def Tech PF15TL+) and compare them.

First, I'm not sure if this is the original design (they had to cut corners somewhere,) but the woofer cone was tiny with a huge surround. The piston was only about 7" in diameter, not exactly great. The Def Tech's piston is 12". There is no need to make the surround that big as this only has 300W. If this was for 1000W That would be understandable. This is why I gave it a 4 instead of a 5 overall. So I went to compare them, and it actually holds up! It's not as loud of as deep as the Def Tech, but it could fulfil any need of anyone shopping in the sub-$500 range. At $229 shipped, this is hands down the best value of ANY low to mid-line sub out there.

Submitted by Jason a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2009

Bottom Line:
This sub is bumpin', more like shakin' everything around you. The 12" throw driver slams out sound like you wouldn't believe. Deeper explosions, solid helicopter sound, and more. The rubberized seal around the driver allows this sub to be turned loud (and I mean shook my receiver off the top of the sub loud) without blowing. Outdated? Sure, but you can't go wrong with this sub. Broken receivers are due to poor placement. (don't put things on the top of this sub if you don't want it to fall off)

Product model year:   2009

Submitted by dinon a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2007

Bottom Line:
This sub is a killer. It's probably the smallest 12' sub I've ever seen, but it put out the mass amount of bass. Very solid built sub for 12'.

Purchased At:   Fry's Electronic

Submitted by MAXXIMUMDAVE a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2006

Bottom Line:
Absolutely IMPRESSIVE! I was shocked that so much deep resonance could come from such a little cube! This sub is theater quality, and will not let you down no matter what your listening style is. I am a true Polk Audio fan now!

Purchased At:   AcousticSoundDesign.