NHT SW3p

Submitted by jeffrodesiac a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2008

Bottom Line:
omg i love this subwoofer next to kids and family it comes next! 72lbs quite the pig i actually have it placed behind something to protect the piano finish i have a new 7.2 receiver yamahaRX-V663 able to power two subs i so want another one wifes is cool as hell with t is one id be pushing it with another and if oyu own this treasure its amlost like haveing two subs

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by Him a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
For movie, this sub can play loud, I mean very loud and deep. But for music, this sub is lack of bass. I already tried to adjust the low pass and phase control, still not satisfied with the sound of this sub for stereo. I think the problem is not because of the sweet spot, because it sounds good in the movie time. I thought that the cable was the problem, because until now I just use 16 awg cable from monster cable. But once again, it sounds good in the movie soundtrack. SO the cable is not the problem either. I just can give 2 star for music, 5 star for moview. Average 3.5.

Submitted by Christian Bjerk a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 1999

Bottom Line:
I purchased the SW3P three years ago and have been happy ever since. The bass response is tight and quick and blends effortlessly with my other speakers. I hate subs that are boomy and draw too much attention to themselves. This subwoofer is great with jazz, rock, country, whatever your listening taste desires. The flexibilty of the seperate speaker and amp make for ideal setup options. If your tastes lean toward accurate music reproduction then this is the sub for you.

Submitted by James Lott a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 1, 1998

Bottom Line:
I don't technically have an SW3p, I built the DIY version with the NHT 1259 driver, and it is equivalent or better in every way. I spent over 100 hours building and finishing the cabinet. This sub is incredible, it goes deep, it is musical, it has plenty of punch, and it is very tight and clean. It is clean enough to blend with my Magnepans, something very few commercial subs can claim (sub $1500). It competes with the very best subs I've heard. The only caveat is that it is relatively inefficient. With a 250 watt amp, it will produce enough bass to drive you out of a small room, but when I had it in a VERY large room (well over 1000 sq. ft) it would definitely be more appropriate to use a pair of subs. You need alot of power, I tried using a Marantz MA500 on it (~150 x 1 into 6 ohms) and it was disappointing. A NAD 214 works great, providing ~300 watts. The amp has never clipped before the sub bottomed out (at extremely loud levels). It definitely plays louder than you need for any music or home theater purpose where the output level is matched to the main speakers. I definitely recommend it, especially for the price I payed ($80 for the sub + $75 for materials + 200 for the amp (used)). It will completely blow away any sub in that price category, and most up to the $1000 mark.