Mirage Loudspeakers BPS-210
Description: Subwoofer

Submitted by Caligari a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2004

Bottom Line:
Mirage BPS-S210 bipolar, servo feedback, force forward design. 100 pound monster that will do 100DB at 16HZ. Nothing, including the SVS I've tried. have ever even come close to this sub. Superb for music and movies and I doubt it could be built under $3000 these days. If you ever get a chance to hear one....do it! One of their claims to fame was you could put a glass of wine on the cabinet and a fully driven 16HZ signal would even make a ripple. It doesn't. This sub has probably never been bettered and likely never will be.

Purchased At:   LA

Submitted by Ivan a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have this sub with a LFX 3 crossover and it seems to go off at random from standby ( ie. orange light turns green with no signal from the crossover), ususally waking the entire house at night and scaring everyone. I don't believe the problem is related to the crossover. This occurred with a LFX 2 crossover as well. Otherwise, the sub works fine with a pair of M5's I own. Does anyone else had this problem? If so I would appreciate any advice in solving this problem. When contacted, Mirage didn't seem that interested in helping me. Good product, great controlled bass ,kind of pricy, lousy support.

Submitted by Russ a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2001

Bottom Line:
A few years ago I had a Mirage Bps150i in my system for a short time. I ended up taking it back and getting something a bit more powerful. I've regretted that move ever since.
For the last two months I have had another BPS150i in my system and still agree with my first impressions. THe Mirage sub was great on music but it wouldn't go to foundation breaking levels. Music should have been my top priority.
Anyone who reads Widescreen Review has probably noticed the high praise they give to the Mirage BPS210. They even run four of them in their testing facility along with a BPs400.
In the subwoofer special edition the magazine gave it top marks on every aspect.
I've now had the BPS210 in my system for a while. Did the BPS210 give me the musical quality and rattle the foundation....You Bet.
I didn't use this sub as a LFE channel in a digital 5.1 set up. I instead ran it with the Mirage EFX-3 active crossover, being supplied from my pre-outs from my processor.
With the adjustable crossover I was able to dial in the sound to match all the speakers I tried. Running Mirage FRX5's, Mirage M7's and Energy Audissey 3+2's, each matched the sub seemlessly.
The majority of the time I ran the sub with the Mirage M7's. The M7's aren't the last word in bass extension but with the BPS210 it was like the speakers reached down to the depths of Hades. Unlike many subs that sound like two seperate entities, this sounded like the fronts were the ones dredging up all the bass. That's what it should sound like.
Playing the cd Lease Breakers was a sonic extravaganza. On the track "Also sprach Zarathrustra, it opens with a very low harmonic tone that began to rumble things off my shelves. Yet the main melody was absolutely undesturbed.
Last weekend I went to a Civil War reinactment and heard canon blasts from about 20 feet away. On Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture the canon shots that end this piece made the ones I saw the week before seem like they were right there with me.
Listening to Patricia Barber, the bass line sounded very articulate, without the one note bloat so common to lesser subs.
On Movie material it was just as impressive. Godzilla never sounded so menacing. Jurassic Lunch in DTS was also a hoot.
Comparing the Mirage BPS210 to the much less expensive BPS150i was quite a suprise. I hold a much higher respect for the smaller sub. Sure it won't blow your windows out, but it held it's own extreamly well. If you can't spend what it takes to get the BPS210, don't hesitate to go for the BPS150i.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Submitted by mike lutz a

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
best dam sub i have ever had it fu**ing kicks a**

Submitted by mike lutz a

Date Reviewed: January 16, 2001

Bottom Line:
beat dam sub it fu**ing kicks a**