M&K MX-700 Subwoofers

4.83/5 (6 Reviews) MSRP : $1395.00

Subwoofer

Submitted by skidrhow a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2004

Bottom Line:
I have been using this sub with B&W CM speaker system and a Rotel 1066 pre-amp (for the record, I am using a Rotel 1075 to drive the main speakers, and I have the sub running via an Outlaw Audio ICBM controller).

I am quite impressed with the overall "musical ability" of the sub. I have a friend that has a similar setup as mine except that he is using an M&K MX-350 MKII. Now that sub will knock stuff off of the walls....
Not that the MX-700 is a wimp...quite the contrary..it will rumble bigtime. But to get the most out of it, you have to be very precise with your placement. The sub must be placed in close proximity to a room boundry (mine is in a corner) to be really effective. The only problem with this is that room modes tend to be reinforced. What this means is that you may have great bass in your main listening position and much less bass in a different position (loveseat etc..).
If you have the time and inclination to set this sub up in the right spot, you will fing that it's bass goes quite low, and never...ever...ever...sounds bloated. If you are really into music (over movies), or if you have a small to medium-large room, then this sub will take care of your needs. If you want to be knocked out of your seat during every movie explosion, or if you must have the pictures on your neighbors wall shaking when you listen to music, then buy the MX-350.
In conclusion, I must say that I liked this sub so much that I bought a second one, and am now running both of them in tandem with great results....

Purchased At:   Home Theater Store

Submitted by silverpep a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have tried many subwoofers and the M&K MX-700 had the best combination of performance, size, and placement flexibility. It is magnetically shielded so it could be placed right behind a tv if necessary. Also, it could be placed horizontally or vertically. It's backfire design pressure loads bass into the room - which makes placement a bit easier than plain forward or downward firing drivers. This sub is really invisible -unlike others that could be localized. I found that Sunfires could be tricky to place correctly and most Velodynes were not as quick as the MX-700. The MX-700 is quick enough to be used with electrostats and ribbons. I use mine with a Proac system and have excellent results. Also, it plays plenty deep and loud enough for movies to shake the walls and disturb the neighbors. No fat with this sub - just solid bass. Truly exceptional.

Submitted by David a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2002

Bottom Line:
This sub does sound good right out of the box but after a few months of break in it gets even better. I have a room around 3000 sq.ft. with one open wall and this sub has no problem pounding out tight powerful bass. Standing it vertical in a corner seems to work for me. It could have been my large room or searching for the perfect movie/music sweet spot that made it a little difficult to locate, but once I found the right spot I couldn't be happier. Tight is a good way to describe the sound. I will never tell them, but the 12" and 15" velodynes and def. techs. people I know have sound a little muddy after you get used to listening to the MX-700. If you like tight base the twin 8" woofers could be the way to go, or if you have young ones running around having no grill to pull off might be another influence. It is a little pricey but you get what you pay for.

Submitted by Tom Reynolds a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have heard that it takes some time for a MX-700 to sound really good. If this is so I am in for a real treat because it sounds awesome right out of the box. I was prepared to purchase a M&K top-of-the-line dual 15" setup but the dealer felt this was a better sub. For my small room, this turned out to be certainly true. I have the woofer set at -3DB relative to M&K THX750 speakers.

It has a variable crossover but requires a RCA jack output from the amplifier so it isn't clear how useful this is [the dealer recommended using the bypass]. It also has a 200 watt amplifier.
The speaker is designed to sit in a corner, next to the wall, near the listning area. It is not designed as a showpiece.

Submitted by Mark Beileiter a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I ordered this speaker sight unseen on advice from the guy at my local stereo shop. It took five months to get here from America as it was brand new on the market and the supplies took a while to reach here. D-day, the guy at the stereo shop rang and said it had finally arrived (patience is a virtue). Packed up the old one and swapped it for my new shiny toy.

Well to put it mildly, I was a bit let down, but the guy a the stereo shop assured me it would get better with time.

Well, as stated earlir, patience is a virtue, and after about two months it finally started to sound like I thought (and was assured) it would.

This is definitely a very classy (audiophile) subwoofer. It suits both home theater and music very nicely. The only drawback as I mentioned earlier is that if you are a real bass fiend then this is not the speaker for you.

The bass is very clean and tight and it doesn't intrude on the rest of the system. You can feel it more than hear it and that's the way I like it. That's not to say that you can't wind it up and give yourself and everybody else in the room a very nasty headache. This thing packs some real punch. Don't be fooled by its small size, the internal 200 watt, 2 ohm amplifier has plenty of grunt.

I've had it for about 10 months and as you can probably tell by now, I am very pleased with my new toy.

Current system:
Denon AVC-A1 (5600 in the US I think) Dolby Digital & THX
Toshiba DVD
Denon 1015 CD player
Yamaha FM/AM Stereo Tuner
NHT 2.5i's x 2 (front & rear)
Definitive Technologies pro 100's (front effects)
NHT C2 centre