Legacy Audio Thumper
Description: compact subwoofer with 10" driver

Submitted by Mike Allen a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2002

Bottom Line:
Correction: This sub is definately worthy of a 5 out of 5 rating. It just has a long break-in time. After owning it for a year and a half. I have found it to be a perfect match for my Hales Rev. Three speakers. There are two reasons why I thought it was slow: 1. The sub had not been broken in completely. 2. Room placement. I had the sub placed in a bass null. Once I placed it at a non-divisible distense of 1/3 X 2/3 from the front and side walls, the speed and tone improved to such a degree that I was embarassed to have rated it 4 out of 5. Not only does this sub integrate aurally, it is absolutely beautiful to have in my living room. I highly recommend it!

Purchased At:   Legacy Audio

Submitted by Michael Allen a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2001

Bottom Line:
This is a very well made and powerful sub. I use it at all times for music and theatre. Its crossover allows it to blend easily with my Hales Rev. Three speakers. The only problem is that the Hales speakers have a faster bass response than the sub. This is only evident when I play music that has a fast and constant bass drum beat (ie pop music and some heavy rock). I recently plugged the two ports to try to speed up the response. The result was faster, more defined bass. For sheer volume in movies, I let the ports remain open. This sub is very beautiful to look at; chicks dig the elegant confidence that it conveys.

This is one of the first subs made with the new 12 inch speakers and slightly larger enclosures. I would definately recommend it to anyone interested in deep bass for a medium to med. large sized room at a price that is half of the cost of the Paradigm and Sunfire models.

The way I have incorporated it into my system is by using the RCA outputs of my BAT VK-3i while the XLR outputs of the preamp are running to my Classe CA-300 amp. The advantage is that I do not disturb the signal to the speakers; the disadvantage is that the speakers and the sub are producing the same frequencies at slightly different times.

Purchased At:   Legacy Audio