Klipsch SW8 II Subwoofers

3.6/5 (5 Reviews) MSRP : $550.00

Powered 8-in subwoofer w/ 10-in passive rad.

Submitted by jamesanderson1@att.net a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2010

Bottom Line:
I've had mine for about 10 years and it's great. We use it in a theatre room with 110" screen. The room is about 15'x24' with three reclining chairs upfront and a sofa in the rear.

Submitted by Bob Armbrust a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2001

Bottom Line:
As mentioned in the other reviews, this entry level sub is limited. The 8" active & 10" passive radiators with a 65 watt amp simply can't provide the deep low bass that fills
out the bottom octaves & kicks you in the chest. For jazz and heavy vocal content music, it provides a nice bottom foundation however.

I purchased this way back in 1996 after a divorce to go with
the incredible Magnepan MMG's. I will be adding an Hsu
VTF-2 within the week. I do have a KSW12 which I use just for home theater. The Hsu is for my audio only (MMG) system. In summary, adequate entry level sub for use with bookshelf system, but just can't deliver the deep goods.

Purchased At:   Planet Audio

Submitted by Jim Cornell a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: June 13, 1999

Bottom Line:
I have an original sw-8 hooked on to kg4s!! Sounds cool!! I dont know much about the sw-8 2 is it passive radiator or not?

I also have a sw-10 hooked to kg 5.5s with synergy surround home theater sounds great!!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by Chris Phillips a an Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 1998

Bottom Line:
I have to agree that this sub is not very powerful. It is,
in fact, for smaller systems that would not be considered
high-end. It is still a quality prodct that does very well
for its size. Don't get this one for home-theater, unless
you are using a 13" screen. :) Anyway, its worth checking
out. Make them let you audition your prospective speaker
purchases at home!

Duration Product Used:   an Audiophile

Submitted by <none> a an Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 12, 1997

Bottom Line:
This is Klipsch's entry level subwoofer. It costs about $250 street price, and features an 8 inch active woofer, 10 inch rear passive woofer, and 60 watt amplifier. I love my other Klipsch products, but I must say I was a bit dissapointed. It's really not big enough to be a true subwoofer, it's more like an external woofer. It's probably a good unit to get if you have small bookshelf speakers, but it didn't blend well with my floor standing main Klipsch speakers. If you're looking for a home theater sub, I'd say save your money for a big sub. You really need a 12 inch or larger driver to get down to the low frequencies, and the KV 8 just didn't add that "boom" I was looking for, which is understandable. It's a respectable product in and of itself, but it's important to know it's limitations. Better to spend the money on full range main speakers than spend money on smaller ones with an inadequate sub. Klipsch makes a real nice sub with 12 inch drivers, but it costs about twice as much or more. But it might be worth it.