Klipsch KSW-50
Description: 6.5 inch downfireing driver. Adjustable crossover (60-140 Hz)

Submitted by Jim a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
I would like to back off a little on my previous review. I contacted Klipsch and they did offer help on how to fix the problem. It turns out that the B+ 4700 uF filter capacitors have shorted out most likely due to a power line spike. I replaced the capacitors and the problem has gone away. The amplifier circuit has no power spike protection so a good surge protector should be used. The unit should not be left plugged in for long periods of time when not in use since the circuit remains active when the unit is connected to AC power outlet. Definately un-plugged during lightening storms. So my rating goes up a little.

Purchased At:   SoundTrack

Submitted by Jim Spetsas a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2001

Bottom Line:
This unit was purchased in 1996 and only used in a home theater system. It was stored safe and dry in the original carton since 1998. I finally set up my home theater (10/2001)and now the unit breaks into a very loud 60 Hz hum. I have tried different cables, AC outlets, 3-prong grounding. I finally opened the unit to find very cheesy wire routing techniques and "Made in Taiwan" sticker on the inside plastic amp housing. I thought I purchased USA made subwoofer but found out I was wronged. I am very disappointed that the unit failed with such little use and to find out that I paid way too much for a mass produced piece of junk.

Purchased At:   SoundTrack

Submitted by ian a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Bottom Line:
My system consists of a Conrad Johnson PV-12 preamp,Conrad Johnson MF2300 power amp, Duntech Marquis speakers, Jolida cd player and Synergistic Research cables.
I bought these components about 9 months ago and was very impressed with the performance but I felt that there was something missing. I brought home this Klipsch sub and a much more expensive Velodyne. There was no question that this was much better for MUSIC than the Velodyne. When I first hooked it up the experience was revelatory. I was nailed to my seat for six hours. What a synergy with the rest of my system which as you can see is pretty high end.
With rock music It really puts the tom toms and bass drum right into your chest which is where I feel they should be. Classical and jazz are enhanced as well. A WINNER!

Purchased At:   stereo exchange

Submitted by Michael a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2001

Bottom Line:
Great sounding sub-woofer for the price in 1997. I use
it in a "stereo only" system with a Luxman receiver and B&W speakers for background music. I sometimes listen at low
volumes, which can be a problem because the sub won't turn
on if it doesn't see a high enough signal. Then again, it will turn on, then off if a long quieter passage is playing (4 minutes plus), then on again when it gets louder. So the only problem is that is doesn't have an ALWAYS ON switch. Some day I might take the switch out of the power circuit.

Also, this sub is good for music in a small system. It is
obviously too small for home theater and it really doesn't
go much below 40Hz, but it does fine between 40 and 90Hz.
Since that is why I bought it, I give it a fairly high
rating.

Purchased At:   Audio King

Submitted by Chris a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2000

Bottom Line:
I picked up a KSW-50 at a garage sale for $25. The woofer is 8" and as the speakers I'm using it with also have 8"
woofers, I was not sure of how much improvement I'd hear.
The price was so low and included the original box and
instructions, so what did I have to lose??
This small sub has made a HUGE difference in the sound
of my system in my office. The volume control
makes it easy to get just the right about of bass for
any recording. The KSW-50 adds a nice depth to recordings that were one-dimensional sounding before. I'll try it with my Home Theatre set-up and see what happens. VERY pleased
with the garage sale find!