KLH ASW10120 Subwoofers

3.78/5 (18 Reviews) MSRP : $129.94

120 Watt RMS Amplifier, Front-firing, Ported Design, 10 Dynamic Long-Throw Woofer.

Submitted by Chris Lewis a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Bottom Line:
Woke up to the most god awful jackhammer sound coming from my den a 5 am one morning.Woke everyone in the house. Raced downstairs to find out what was happening only to find my KLH ASW 10-120 giving off this house shaking reverberating hum at it's maximum capacity. The air was thick with the smell of electrical wires burning. The system to which it was connected was off and no signal was being transmitted. I quickly plugged it out I believe only moments before it would have caused a fire. I started to browse the internet to see If I could get a Factory Authorized repair shop for this unit only to run into several reveiws from other users with quotes such as "Fire Hazzard". Scarry

Submitted by Traumajunkie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2005

Bottom Line:
I'm writing about the KSUB 10 ...a close relative here... What bothers me most about this 99.00 hunk of junk is that it actually works!!! The bass goes surprisingly low (especially if you seal off one of the back ports)Distortion even down low is minimal and the punch is indeed tangible. The sub actually dares to (remember, it's less than 100 bucks) capture bass notes down to 30hz with an anemic but still present SPL. It's been reliable, loud when I wanted it to be, and passibly clean enough to generally not suck. 110 bucks...hmmmm.

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by audiokid a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2003

Bottom Line:
I would like to start by saying that the KLH asw10120 is, I feel, an excellent product for the money. It's about 100$ anywhere, and for that price, you simply cannot beat it. But, people, this is certainly NOT an audiophile sub. If anyone can find me somewhere that sells audiophile equipment for 100$ then I sure want to know where it is.
I want to let everyone know that I am 16 years old, yes...16, as I mentioned in my review of the KLH 9912 floor speakers. But, if you are an angry audiophile who thinks that I have no idea what I am talking about, don't type me an email letting me know how stupid or ignorant I am...just shut up. If you're an audiophile then you shouldn't care about a low cost speaker brand like KLH... right? But, anyhow, on to the sub.
As I said, this is NOT an audiophile sub. It will not compete with subs costing hundreds more and it is not fair to do so. I've had this sub for more than 2 years now and have not had a problem, not a single problem with it. I think it pounds out the low notes very well, though the bass can get a bit "sloppy," "muddy," or whatever else you call it. But, for 100$ what do you expect? Also, this sub thumps, but it is not going to rattle your windows and shake the house to its foundation. A true home theater afficionado should be buying a sub to enhance the bass and effects for music and movie applications...right? If you want more rumble or simply bone-crushing bass, buy a BIGGER sub, like a 12" or a 15." A 10" plays tighter but a 12" plays DEEPER!
I love this sub because it is not too big, but you know it's there when you need it. Also, buying an extra warranty on anything NEVER hurts!
This sub is an excellent value and provides more than adequate thump for both music and movies. I use it in a 5.1 Dolby Digital setup and it really shines. As a matter of fact, the only thing I've noticed is that at higher volumes, the sub can "bottom out" and possibly blow. I just adjust the output on my receiver and turn it down!I also agree with one other review that advised readers to "break it in." I think that helps. If the crossover is adjusted correctly, the sub will perform very well also.
If you can afford a better product, then by all means, buy it. But this sub is a great solution to bass on a budget, and should keep you happy as long as you don't expect too much from it.
One more thing: Car subs are not a practical alternative to replace the existing subwoofer!! Unless you really know what you're doing, don't modify or replace the existing sub. (Polyfill or fiberglass sound insulations might be a good idea to clean up the bass a bit, though;)

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by Patrick Thayer a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought this subwoofer about a year and a half ago. For that time it worked great until just recently. The sound was clear with a good amount of power. The other night I noticed that the area near the unit smelled "hot." I immediately unplugged the unit and noticed a black liquid/goo dripping out from under the amplifier. It concerned me that if I hadn't noticed the problem when I did, it could have started a fire. KHL has still not responded to my letters concerning this.

Submitted by Bob a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
The model at the Costo where I purchased this was the KSUB-10. I called KLH and they said it was similar to the 10120 but with better quality parts? After having this for almost a year, I am still very impressed with the performance. I stuffed a sock in the port to clean up the "muddy" sound. I have Infinity 8" speakers and now they can concentrate on the lower mid range and up.

Purchased At:   Costco