KLH AWS-110

Submitted by jchowmis a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2003

Bottom Line:
I got it from Costco last summer. It works fine with movie and music. The price is good too. However 3 days ago, I heard a pop sound when I turned it on and the amp blew. No more bass again! I am lucky that I got this from Costco. They allow me to refund it even I think it is not fair to Costco. I think about to get a Yamaha subwoofer now

Purchased At:   Costco

Submitted by Brad a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this Sub from HHgregg back in January i used some christmas money that i had to purchase it. It sounded great in the store, and it sounded great at home, and the price was awesome. I took it up to school and it rattled everyones room. Next thing i know it dies, i check everything and then i called KLH. I said my ASW10-120 is not producing any sound. Without any questions they said take out the amp and send it to us. So i was thinking that this was a problem that wasn't just happening to me. I thought about it and said....Nahh im gonna get a better quality speaker. So i took back the speaker and bought a JBL PB10 and it rocks. I love it...Plus it has a 5 year parts, and labor warranty with it.

Purchased At:   HHgregg

Submitted by tinn_85 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2003

Bottom Line:
OK, I bought this to appease my parents... I wanted a 15" and this is what I settled on. All in all it has been a great sub for the money. I haven't noticed any overheating or any of the problems many others have had. I did load the inside with some more poly-fill, that helps a lot! I also added an enamel grey coat of paint and a clear coat, it's stiffened the cone up some and doesn't distort as much. Don't skimp on the cables, and you shouldn't have any noise problems. I'm thinking about switching to at least a 12" driver and keeping the amp... It's a good peice of work. If you can still find one get it.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by salbright a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is a second posting, but I have to make a couple of points and defend those of us who have experienced blown amplifiers with this unit.

First, my unit began blowing fuses while listening to music at background levels. It is hooked up utilizing a Sony ES preamp with subwoofer out.

I called KLH and they were VERY NICE. I can't say enough about their service. They asked me to send in the amp with receipt and that they would replace it. I could not find the receipt however, and this thing sat in my basement for 8 months. Finally, I sent in the unit WITHOUT the receipt, explaining my problem. I figured they would either replace it, or they wouldn't (Whatever...the subwoofer was useless to me anyway so what the heck...). Much to my very pleasant suprise, They sent me a repaired amp FOC! Kudos to KLH. You could not expect more from a company from a service standpoint, especially from a company which is not highend (anybody try to deal with Sony?!).

Last Christmas I received a 15"subwoofer from Aperion, and for the first time, have been able to compare subwoofers. Not a fair comparison, as the Aperion is 4X the cost, but others have expressed the following which is the truth: You get what you pay for. The Aperion's sound is far less boomy than the KLH, but I can't say I am displeased with the KLH. I have now put together a second system utilizing this subwoofer with BIC Venturi 52si in an inexpensive subwoofer/satellite system. For less than $250, this system is impressive. Not high end by any means, but will fool a lot of people...

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by erwadley a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2002

Bottom Line:
I was on a strict budget when I bought this and I really don't have any complaints. It is more than enough power/range/response etc for a small -medium sized room -unless you are some moron rube who thinks that 'bass rules' and that 'dude it rocks' a way to accurately describe components.

In short: the amplifier section is what you would expect for 100 bucks, but good value, mine has been very reliable for usage of 2-3 hours a day at sometimes very loud listening levels -and as with anything if you don't tax a cheap section too much so that the bass section on an active sub is out of proportion with the rest of the music(like only a bafoon subwoofer -car audio type would do) then you will find this bargain sub satisfactory. No complaints here, the sound is accurate, room filling and fun. I even have trouble with it rattling the room too much on heavy bass lines from Jazz/rock pieces. Obviously for its price it won't disappoint-again unless you are like some other reviewers who don't understand that a sub is complement to an audio setup not the main component.

Purchased At:   COSTCO