JBL PSW-D112 Subwoofers

2.75/5 (121 Reviews) MSRP : $499.00

Submitted by roulettedealer3 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2004

Bottom Line:
I bought this to replace my PSW1200, that oddly enough blew the amp one year and one month from purchase. I had this one fro around 2 years and came home to a sub that wouldn't powerup. Replaced witht he correct slo blo fuse and proceeded to pop 3 fuses in a row. I called JBL and told them my PSWD112, that I had purchased to replace my PSW1200 had died the same death 6 months out of warranty. Since I had discarded the sales receipt in a move they told me I was SOL. I emailed a few times and talked to a couple of supervisors concerning the problem, customer service, and how it affects customer loyalty. All to no avail. So I bought an open box buy Velodyne CHT12, heaven on earth. 2 weeks later I received a brand new Northridge Series E250P 550 JBL Subwoofer via UPS. I guess all of the phone calls and emails did some good. From what I have read in magazines the digital amp in the E250 is pretty much bulletproof. But who knows. I like my Velodyne so I put the JBL on the classifieds in here.

Purchased At:   Best Buy

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2004

Bottom Line:
It's sad to see all of the poor reviews for this sub out there! I have had this JBL sub for almost three years now and it gives me the bass I need. I bought it refurbished and I have not had any problems with the sub or the amplifier on it! I used to run it with a Pioneer 5.1 digital system for about 2 1/2 years, but I have upgrade recently to an Onkyo 6.1 digital receiver! There is a noticeable bass difference between the two receivers! I will never go back to a pioneer receiver! The Onkyo sends a clearer bass signal to the woofer which enhances the whole Home Theatre experience! If you do not have the right receiver or amplifier running then you are limiting the potential of the sub itself! Getting a good sub is only half of the battle! The other half is getting the right equipment to send the sub a clean signal! Anyways back to the sub. It has done well for me with both receivers running it! It rumbles the walls where it is at. I hope to get the JBL S120PII soon to hook up with this sub, and then I will have two JBL subs in the front two corners of my room! It is a nice sub, but they are hard to find anymore nowadays!

Purchased At:   vanns.com

Submitted by DONMC a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought this POS at a pawn shop before i did any research on it and i guess i deserve what i got. I got it home and the next day i though i was being gunned down in my home by osama.I got on audio review and learned about this thing and took it to a shop to see if i could fix it. The shop owner called and told me he couldnt fix it but he called JBL and tey were sending me a replacement. two weeks later they sent me the pb12. So i guess i got lucky. after all said and done i paid $140 total and the pb12 seems to be doing great so far. i think the psw112 had a lot more deeper bass but hey a new sub will work for now. I will never buy JBL again.

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by Don a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2003

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by Sam Sinister a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2003

Bottom Line:
I was able to fix mine..
I have the "new version", purchased in Oct. 2001. Mine lasted 2 years before failing as others described. A post-mortum revealed a couple of aluminum electrolyic caps (good for 185 degrees F) placed directly above some big-watt resistors. Pulled the caps, they were toast. Replaced them with tantalums (good at higher temps) Back in buisness. Here are the original values of the caps I replaced:
C32 22uF 35V
C40 10uF 35V
C41 1uF 50V
C42 100uF 16V
Use the same values, Voltage rating must be the same or higher. Mount them all on the bottom side away from the hot components.

Your mileage may vary.