Jamo SW-505E Subwoofers

4.88/5 (8 Reviews) MSRP : $700.00

Subwoofer w/ 12" Driver

Submitted by John a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
I have owned this subwoofer since early 2000. 100% reliable. I have it connected to my Yamaha RX-V3000 AV reciever using the standard crossover point. Unit is excellent for DVD movies, the base reproduction is also very good for music including classical.

Submitted by Anthony a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
Wow! The Jamo subwoofer is a wonderful compliment to my audio and video system. Booming base that is easily controlled. I am impressed how much difference a sub makes to all formats of sound.

Purchased At:   The Stereo Trading O

Submitted by Arne Rossow a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2002

Bottom Line:
I bought a pair of the B&W Matrix 3, just a few weeks ago, and I truely can recommand these speakers to other AudioPhiles like myselfe! They sound incredibly nice. However, if you are looking for party loudspeakers, I wouldn't recommand these. The rest is High-End! I love them.

Purchased At:   Hi-fi klubben

Submitted by Paul a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
After testing M&K an JBL 12 inch subs, I was blown away by the JAMO which was far more responsive at both high and low volumes.

Reading the reviews here, I ambled into a couple of audio stores to check out 12 inch subs for under US$1000 and not having had a sub before, I didn't really know what I was looking for so I reviewed the market leading brands 1st.

Even after getting approval from the house finance committee, I didn't want to blow my money and after listening to the M&K and JBL I was considering not buying the sub at all because if that was the best they could do, I could do without a sub.

Having a couple of JAMO fronts, I wanted to hear the SW-505E and when I did, I made the purchasing decision instantly.

This sub is totally recommended for both the near deaf and farmers whose nearest neighbor lives at lease 2 miles away because it is LOUD.

My first listens include Con Air and the Great Blue Sea.

Although I got the sub on special, I didn't take into account the extra costs involved (perforated eardrums are expensive to repair and the black eye the neighbors are sure to deliver need to be taken into account!).

I'm sure these events WILL OCCUR the moment I play "Contact".

Anyway, if you are looking for the best HT sub out there for the $, this is it (extra costs not withstanding).

Purchased At:   Jones Muir

Submitted by Mario Cueva a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had the Jamo SW-505E subwoofer for over a year now, the Deep and Powerful base that is produced from this unit is ideal for any Home Theatre, its ability to pump out 100Watts of crystal clear base it rattles everything in my living room without any muddyness or distortion... (the trick is to adjust the Phase and placement). As for regular music anything other than classical totally ROCKS!.

My current configuration has a crossover (comes with the sub)on the two main speakers that cuts out anything below 140Hz, thus allowing the subbie to take control of anything below that, this ensures that the base quality is maintained and not spolied by speakers that do not handle the low frequencies so well... thus the careful tuning.

One unusual thing about this subwoofer is that unlike a Down firing or Front firing driver, which sound waves can be coloured by the texture of the floor.. ie. wood floor or sound directly bouncing off objects respectiveley, the SW-505E driver is completley enhoused in the enclosure, two large bass reflex ports on the back allow the sound to errate from the enclosure .. thus producing powerfull SOUND waves that are what the manufacturer meant them to be.

As far as subwoofers go I think that the Jamo SW-505E is the way to go for a home theatre and its worth every cent!