Infinity Systems HPS-250 Subwoofers

4.75/5 (12 Reviews) MSRP : $699.00

Power Subwoofer

Submitted by jay a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2009

Bottom Line:
I bought the Infinity HPS250 back in 1999 for use with my home thertre,and for music.I have used it extensively with zero complants for over 10 years.. way to go infinity

Submitted by jessse unger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2002

Bottom Line:
At first i was really pissed of. I wasnt getting very good, if that sound from this subwoofer. Than i opened the cabinet and BOOOOOOOM. Thats where my sound was the whole time. I love this thang

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Eric Wyckoff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
This is the first sub that I have purchased as an addition to my home theater system. I have used this sub for over a year now and I still love it. I listened to many subs of different makes at my retailer and none for the money had the clean,tight & controlled sound/feel that the HPS 250 produced. It works great with music or movies.

Purchased At:   Stereo Advantage

Submitted by Charlie a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2000

Bottom Line:
I have this setup as a pass through subwoofer. I have the left and right front speakers hooked up to it instead of using the LFE connection. My system is in my basement and it has to fill a romm that is approximately 20'x30'. My receiver is not Dolby digital so it doesn't have a dedicated subwoofer output. It's a sony dolby surround receiver SDE325. My receiver is the last item I need to upgrade. I'm looking at either the Marantz sr7000, sr8000, or the denon 3300.

I have magnepan MG II front speakers. The Magnepans always sounded great except they aren't good at producing bass. My hunch is that to have good bass, the speakers must be able to displace large volumes of air. The Magnepans use ribbon's instead of normal speakers and are unable to move much air. With the addition of this subwoofer, my system sounds much better. I have the gain set to 4.5 and the crossover set to 100Hz. There is a button for whether the speakers are in phase with the front speakers or out of phase. I don't know what I have it set to because I can't hear any difference between the two settings.

I have a bic venturi subwoofer hooked up to my Dolby Digital system in my family room and I never realised what a piece of junk the bic subwoofer is until I used the infinity. The Infinity sounds great with music and even better with dolby surround. I highly recommend this subwoofer to anyone who doesn't want to spend in excess of $350. The subwoofer is big and heavy. I'm 6'0" and 215 lb and I wasn't happy carrying the thing down my basement stairs.

Purchased At:   ubid

Submitted by Greg a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2000

Bottom Line:
I've had this sub for a year now and like it so much I am just now looking to buy a second sub for another system I'm building. Based on the great performance of this one I'm looking to get an HPS-500.. but don't let my move up the power curve turn you off to this nice little performer. For a small room, this sub will shake the floor pretty well. I'm just looking for more of a good thing:-) What's great about the 250 is that it sounds great with music as well as having power to perform in home theater use. If you're looking for a sub in this price range, you'll be impressed!