Infinity Systems BU1

Submitted by Jim a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2010

Bottom Line:
i got given this by a second hand hi-fi store owner because it had the wrong plug for my country. i bought a converter for it though and tried it out... i think it was good for its size as long as you dont listen to multiple 12-18" subwoofers normally. i am using it on the computer now and i think it does the job well. this is great for people who dont have gigantic sound systems and just want something small but good.

Submitted by Ron Gerber a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2006

Bottom Line:
My Sony MHC-BX6AV has been long overdue for a powered or active subwoofer. Finally settled on the Infinity BU-1 and I'm not at all disappointed. This Sony Mini-Hi-Fi Component System is a popular priced 5.1 audio system. For a source with 5.1 outputs I'm using a Sony DVP-NS775V for DVD, SA-CD, and conventional CD playback. The addtion of the Infinity BU-1has made this a phenominal set-up for a modest financial outlay.
Whether it's Frank Sinatra walking through a Vegas casino with a string bass thumping in the background in the original Ocean's 11 (mono) or cannon firing and the subsequent damage it inflicts in Master and Commander (DTS) the BU-1 delivers. It thankfully rounds out the audio in the concert DVD "High Wire Act" by Little Feat. I used to find it nearly unlistenable, now I find it quite amazing. Like being at a show.
The Infinity BU-1 has become the perfect choice to complete my modest yet impressive home theater.

Purchased At:   pawn shop

Submitted by generic a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2003

Bottom Line:
For my first subwoofer, I didn't want to spend too much. I paid $56 on eBay and I was pleasantly surprised at the BU1's commanding presence at the low ends, even for a relatively small 8" subwoofer. My system: Yamaha HTR-5240 receiver, Signet 260B/U's for front left and right, Infinity Video-1 for center channel, Yamaha satellites for rear, and the BU1. If you can find the BU1 cheap, it's definitely worth a trial run.

Purchased At:   eBay

Submitted by TY a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2002

Bottom Line:
very watered down. Tells you in the manual not to run it very hard. has been very dependable. I run it hard as it goes day in and day out, no problems.

Purchased At:   Stereo Advantage

Submitted by Warren Robinson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2001

Bottom Line:
I originally bought this unit to supplement a pair of Infinity two way bookshelf speakers with 6.5 inch woofer. It did an admirable job at this. Bass output is good, but, probably not adequate for home theatre use. I use it for audio only. I was pleased with this unit until I upgraded the satelite speakers to a pair of Magnepan MMGs. The Magnepans bass rolls off quickly below 60 Hz, but, the bass they do have is quick and precise. In comparison the BU1 sounds slow and muddy. I may invest in a faster sub (if I can find one), or, just remove the BU1 and live with the MMGs alone. Overall, this is a very good unit in its price class and works well in a small, or, medium sized room for ausio only, or, light home theatre use.

Purchased At:   Circuit City