HSU Research VTF-2 Mk2
Description: Powered bass-reflex subwoofer tunable for maximum frequency extension (25Hz) or maximum output (32Hz), 10" driver, 250W amplifier, On/Auto/Off power switch, continuously variable 30-90Hz bypassable crossover at 24dB/octave rolloff, 0/180° phase toggle switch, magnetically shielded, removeable power cord, 19.5"H x 14"W x 18"D, shipping weight 57 lbs.

Submitted by GT Audio a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2016

Bottom Line:
I have had this sub-woofer for a few months. I use it in a vintage audio system, and it works very well. The sub-woofer blends in beautifully with my system and disappears as it works. The result is very musical accurate bass that can be tuned very easily. I am very favorably impressed with this unit, and it deserves the positive it review it has received.

Submitted by Gillbuddy a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2007

Bottom Line:
Blends in nicely with a 7.1 Infinity Primus set up and is excellent for the lows when movie wathching. I keep it nearfield in a dedicated HT room which is a little too large for a sub of this size. I Would however reccomend a Bigger sub if yor room is over 2500Cu'. If its under I would say this sub should be on your shortest list. I have not owned it long enough to evaluate music with it but for HT it is a grat sub. I keep it in max outlet/ max volume mode instead of max extension. It seems to sound best in my room that way.my room needs serious treatments starting with bass traps.

Purchased At:   HSU.com

Submitted by alex1269 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2006

Bottom Line:
I'm an 'old guy'. Bred on live music in the 40's, HiFi when you had to build it yourself. Heard stereo first at the '55 GM car show. Bought my first stereo in '60. Discovered the NY Audio Society when Fisher, Dahlquist and Koss were still members.

In '75 a fellow enthusiast and I followed up an audio show with a visit to Radio City. As the house organ shook the entire theater, my friend said, "Now that's what I want my woofer to sound like!"

The VTF2 MK2 is the closest yet. A suble, indistinguishable seam with my vintage Advents, but a very noticable depth, mostly unnoticed until I sat down. My couch felt like a vibrator (ala Radio City).

The best I've heard (the deepest and most accurate) since before my AR 3a was rebuilt. The original 3a was more accurate (as accoustic suspensions will be) but could not go as low, and was not as powerful (even bi-amped).

Submitted by upsetdog a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2006

Bottom Line:
I've only had this sub for a few days,but after setting it up and playing a few tunes I just sat there for a while. I couldn't believe what I'd just heard. I've had a few subs like Acoustic Research, Sony and Polk. But the Hsu is in a different league. Deeeep tuneful bass was what I heard on Dave Holland's disk's. The same was true on Buster Williams cd's and Marcus Miller. But one thing I didn't expect was the increase in sound stage and detail. Set up properly, a real sub bass system brings out music that was hidden by the boom,boom,thud of lesser subs. I started playing stuff I don't like any more just to hear the difference.
Movies are a whole different story. This sub will show you where all of the loose stuff is in your room. I have to secure and put some pads on my side and rear dipols. I'm more interested in the musical aspects of this speaker then movies ,and the Hsu blends really well with my B&W 805's. For the money, or any money this is a no brainer.

Purchased At:   Hsu Research

Submitted by Luis31 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2006

Bottom Line:
I hate to do this, but I have to question nguyend6 claims of "lack of definition and detail for music" for the VTF2-MKII because that certainly has not been my experience with this sub. Perhaps he forgot to take into account how much his room acoustics, more than likely, affected the overall sound of the sub and, therefore, his final assessment.

Subwoofers that are "tuned" to play in the lower octaves will be more susceptible to room acoustics anomalies, sub misplacement, erroneous level/phase, etc.

My experience with this sub is contrary to what the previous reviewer claimed. This sub is "every bit as musical" as the NHT sw12 (which I previously owned...) and does not come close to the VTF2 MKII's bass extension. In fact, the Hsu performed "musically" as good as a REL Strata III sub that I brought home for audition and for the significantly lower $$$ price tag, it was a "no brainer".

Highly recommended...