Energy Speaker Systems ES-12XL Subwoofers

4.6/5 (15 Reviews) MSRP : $800.00

Subwoofer

Submitted by Silverti a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2007

Bottom Line:
I've had this sub for at least 7+ years now. Its gone through a lot of upgrades on my HT. Im ust say that I have had very few problems with it in any way plaing music or movies. I have taken it with me from my old house to my new house (which is very sound proof). In my first house, from the bonus room upstairs, it would rattle dishes in my neighbors house (not attached, 40 feet away) In the new house with much better sound proofing, my neighbors have complained that they can hear it in the middle of their house (40 feet away through multiple walls). I still absolutly love the thing and have no plans to replace for some time.

Head: Onkyo TX-SR800
Amps: 2 X Outlaw 2200 M-Block / Onkyo M-282

Drivers: F:RTi12 / C:CS350-LS / S:FXI5 / R:RT12 / Sub:Energy ES12XL

Video: Sony SXRD 60" / Panasonic AE1000 138"
Sources: Sony PS3 / Sony 400 Disk DVD Changer / Comcast HD DVR /

HTPC: AMD 3500+, GF7600PC, 2 X WD 76 gig raptor 10K RPM drives (Raid) SB Audigy 2 Plat (ac3)

Purchased At:   Good Guys

Submitted by jamey a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2003

Bottom Line:
I just recently upgraded to this subwoofer from an old toshiba 10'. I was looking for something in this price range ($600 cdn) or $400 us. The energy sub that i bought is actually the e:xl-s12 which is a ported 12' subwoofer with a 150watt (rms) amplifier. The frequency range rated by the company for this subwoofer is 20hz- and up which, if its honest, is quite a bit lower that most of the subs in this price range. Although it is not servo-controlled (i.e. electronic feedback of the subs performance to a control circuit) it has so far handled everything ive thrown at it with aplomb. It is probably too much sub for my 2 bedroom apartment, but i will not be here forever so... The fit and finish is excellent, the finish on the cabinet is miles ahead of subs 3 times as expensive. Energy is a respected brand and a good canadian manufacturer. I have not noticed any problems with excessive port noise, in fact i have never heard any port noise at all. One thing about subwoofers, its hard to demo in the store as they sound completely different at home due to the acoustic signature of your space. I am completely happy with this sub so far, its sublime when it has to be, but is capable of the gut wrenching bass required with the higher output LFE tracks of todays home theater systems. It also comes with screw in carpet spikes to give it a firm footing, also important for crisp response

Purchased At:   a&b sound

Submitted by Jeff a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 22, 2002

Bottom Line:
I got this on clearance; $200 off. Compared with other subs costing much more from Velodyne, etc. Looks great, classy polished top. Great for movies, music (alternative, classic rock / world music / classical). Comes with spikes to replace the rubber feet; helps a bit on carpet. With phase and crossover settings can be made to match with any speakers or room accoustics. I have had it for four years now and am still impressed!

Purchased At:   Buzz Jensen's

Submitted by JOE GARCIA a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2001

Bottom Line:
I GOT THIS SUB LAST WEEK. HAVING B&W SPEAKERS, I EXPECTED THIS SUB TO BE ON PAR. WRONG. I LIKED IT ON MY MOVIES, BUT WHEN I PUT ON CD'S IT LACKED THE REFINEMENT THAT I AM USED TOO. I WAS ONLY USING IT FOR MOVIES AFTER, AND SHUTING IT OFF FOR MUSIC. I REALLY DID NOT CARE FOR IT. BUT THEN, A THOUGHT HIT MY MIND, I HAD A LEGACY 12" SUB IN MY CATS BEDROOM. IT IS A 4OHM KEVLAR (YELLOW TOO LIKE MY B&W'S!) MONSTER, THAT I SWAPED OUT THE ORIGINAL. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! THE BASS HITS DOWN NOW TO A TRUE AND TESTED 23HZ, AND IT IS TWICE AS FAST AND ACCURATE. IT HAS CHANGED THE SOUND COMPLETELY. I RECOMMEND THAT IF YOU HAVE ONE OF THESE SUBS, TO TRY SOMETHING LIKE THIS, AND SEE IF THERE IS A DIFFERENCE TO YOU. LIKE I SAID, I NOW CAN USE IT FOR MY MUSIC, WITHE THE SPEED AND CLARITY HITTING THE BASS STRING NOTES, AND ACTUALLY FEELING EACH ONE AND HEARING THEM NOW! WELL I HAVE TO ADMIT THAT IT IS STILL A ENERGY AMP, BUILT IN, AND THAT IS FINE. A GREAT SUB (NOW).

Purchased At:   DAD

Submitted by Trevor Jackson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2001

Bottom Line:
I have had this thing since '97.
It sounds sweet,packs a lot of vloume and wall shaking,ornament breaking ,Christmas card flying BASS.
I have gotten in shi@% more with this sub than any other so that to me constitues deep heavy bass.
My system: