Eltax Atomic A 10 Subwoofers

4.57/5 (7 Reviews)

Submitted by William Simpson a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Bottom Line:
All i can say is that i had a 150 Mordant Short sub for 2 years and this one blows it away totally.

YOu just will not be dissapointed. I started with the 8 inch its just not the same it has to be the 10.2 atomic.

Purchased At:   Richer sounds Bromle

Submitted by Rusty a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2003

Bottom Line:
A good reason to listen to speakers before you buy them rather than going for the most expensive ones.

My system is:
Surround amp: Sherwood RVD-6095
Power amps: Nad c270's
Speakers: (f)Wharfedale modus one-six, (r) Wharfedale saphire sp-83, (c) Kenwood something or other & a JVC which I'm unplugging tonight because I've realised its rubbish.
CD Player: Kenwood DP-4090
DVD: xbox or scsi pc dvd

ATOMIC A-10.2 SPECS:
Sinus Max power: 175W
Frequency range: +/- 4 dB 35-170Hz
Subwoofer: 250mm downfiring
Crossover Frequency: 50-170Hz adjustable

I listened to one sub in the demo room at richer sounds, and it literally buzzed annoyingly and didn't add anything worthwhile to the sound of the test DVD (star wars 2). I can't remember which sub it was, but basically it was a weedy black box made from chipboard or something. At this point I thought I was going to have to spend fortunes to get a decent sub. To be fair, the sub they had in the room which was playing when I first walked in was a £300 aluminium cone ten ton jugernaught. Way out of my range, I thought.

Then they pulled out the hefty aluminium effect atomic sub, plugged it in and put the shoebox back on the shelf. I'm glad they did.

This speaker is way up there with the £300 gang and maybe even further. It wasn't particularly loud in the demo room, but then they didn't turn it up much. I could just tell that this was light years ahead of the other sub.. the room filled up with pressure, and there was definate clarity and reasuring tightness to the bass. It sounded familiar, and didn't look THAT different from mr. juggernaught.

I have to say at this point that richer sounds is a brilliant place to go and buy cut cost high quality hi-fi gear, but unless you go on a quiet time on a weekday, you won't get access to the demo room without a booking. Although I've never had a problem getting a room without one, some of their staff know about as much about hi fis as a woodlouce knows about the dark side of hip hop, and hence if you get the wrong person you'll be sitting in the demo room going mad watching them fumble around while the menu music for star wars repeats for the 50th time. urgh. Fortunately there is always someone trained there to help, and to be honest I can see why they prefer it when people book these rooms.

Anyway once I got the sub home I was careful not to turn it up too loud, but already it was performing like a dream. Little did I know that a month later it would really loosen up and turn into a complete monster of a sub!

I don't think I can imagine someone buying this for £70 and feeling short changed. Then again I don't think I can imagine the same thing happening even if it cost triple that amount. The great thing was though, I got it for £60... why? Probably because they felt guilty about something...

Its like I said, they really do want you to book that room ;o)

But seriously, thumbs up to both mr.richer and eltax, I'm glad people like them exist!

Purchased At:   Richer Sounds - Gide

Submitted by alijens a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2003

Bottom Line:
Happy that Eltax made this series.
We tested it against Yamaha YST-SW800 and 'bite me'...Incredible.The bass throw is about the same but the output sound is in very good favour for Eltax.
We were surprised.After all the Yamaha costs 4x as much...Smileyface for eltax :)

Purchased At:   Komplett.no

Submitted by Kev Winchcombe a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2003

Bottom Line:
Great unit although I've not heard many others. Certainly makes the sound from my Pro-logic TV come alive - proving to be a simple & cheap upgrade.

Purchased At:   (£130) Comet, West Q

Submitted by Tom Janusz a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
I own earlier A-8,and i must say thay difference between these two woofers is outstanding.