Definitive Technology ProSub 100TL Subwoofers

4.67/5 (42 Reviews) MSRP : $449.00

ProCinema 100 System 10" Subwoofer

Submitted by Jfb2006 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Bottom Line:
Since the mid-nineties, I have used a Boston Accoustics CR-4 sub (8" diaphram, 75 watt amp, front firing), which came highly recommended by a trusted salesman. It has served me well for ten years, and I have no complaints. The decision to replace it came slowly due to its solid musicality. I play music 90% of the time with only the occasional movie, and I did not want to replace my beloved CR-4 with a powerhouse sub that is less articulate. I made the decision to seek out a deeper reaching sub only because of the increasing prevalence in my library of 96/24 recordings that seem able to reach into the 20-30Hz range. My Boston sub was rated down to only 35Hz and seemed to bottom out slightly on certain recordings, although it was very articulate and could still produce an attenuated response into the deepest regions. The ProSub 100TL is rated down to 19Hz. No + or - Db range is ever mentioned, so who knows what that really means, but it definitely out performs the Boston sub, hands down. I've thrown everything I have at it, and it never labors. It reproduces the bottom octave on a grand piano gracefully, and the bass strings of the Chicago Symphony Orchestra come through alive and well with lots of harmonic detail. In my 300 sq. foot listening area, it gives an impression of spaciousness, effortlessness, and profundity. I'm not sure I could recommend it for a much larger space, but in my apartment it has proven to be more than enough.

Purchased At:   Online

Submitted by Levike a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2004

Bottom Line:
I must say that this little subwoofer does shake my bedroom. This 10 inch is excellent for music, but for home theater I would recommend the 12 inch and 15 inch, or any Supercube subwoofer from Definitive Technology.
My music has changed dramatically with adding this subwoofer. I couldn't be more happier with my music, the only thing that will change my music even more is the Denon PMA 2000R Integrated Amp.

Now that I have given this sub some break in time, it has become awesome.
In Music it's amazing, it really does go to 19Hz
Now it's perfect with my B&W Speakers.
Also the Cambridge Azur 540 helped the most, and this sub will be even better atfer I get my Audioquest cable for it.

Purchased At:   Friend

Submitted by Sim a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2003

Bottom Line:
This sub trashes my Paradigm PDR-10 flat out. It goes deeper and produces far more power. Its also pretty tight. Great for both movies and music. At 1/2 volume, the Paradigm is already giving up with the power LED diming when there a lot of bass. No problems with the Definitive. Only thing I hate is the power cord used. Definitive could have just include an IEC socket thus we could use some audiophile grade cords (don't see how much cost would a socket add over a chord). I am not giving this sub a full 5 star rating solely due to its power cord.

Purchased At:   KEC Sound System

Submitted by jeffgm a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2003

Bottom Line:
Recently I bought a denon 3802 and some small klipsch speakers and a middle channel speaker for surround sound to go with my old klipsch kg 5.5 monsters.I wasn't even going to get a subwoofer because the klipsch would go down below 35 hz. and sounded very powerful. Movie sound tracks were very good but on some of the more dynamic movies I found that there was a missing part after watching the same movies on other setups.

My first attempt at a subwoofer was an infinity entra two with a twelve inch woofer and 250 watts of power. It barely kept up with my klipsch floor standing speakers. It sounded very nice and smooth for music but didn't even come close for HT. Even with two channel music it had to be turned way up to make any impact at all. Very dissapointing. I took the infinity back and paid a few dollars more for the pro sub 100. It was amazing to me that a smaller 10 inch subwoofer could make a 12 inch subwoofer that was rated at the same power sound puny and very weak by comparison. This subwoofer effortlessly keeps with my big efficient klipsch main speakers with the sound level turned up only a fourth of max. I now know what all the fuss is about with surround sound and spectacular bass effects in sound tracks in movies. This is a really good sub. It goes unbelievably deep, is as loud if you want it to be, and is very smooth. I am very picky about audio equipment but I am very impressed with this speaker.

Purchased At:   ultimate electronics

Submitted by rsykes4417 a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2002

Bottom Line:
Brand new, my DT ProSub 100 was great. I am now having problems with trying to keep the red light on the back of the unit in the on position. After about 1 hour of viewing, the red light goes out. I am using a Y splitter and have output RCA plugged into subwoofer socket in my Yamaha receiver. To turn on red light I need to disconnect the RCA's and/or the electrical plug and reconnect to get the red light/ProSub 100 working again. Need advice on how to solve keeping the red light on.

Purchased At:   Audio Concepts, LB,