Definitive Technology PF1500TL Subwoofers

4.31/5 (16 Reviews) MSRP : $899.00

15" Powere Subwoofer - 500 Watts

Submitted by jasonskinner a Casual Listener

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2009

Bottom Line:
used for 1 year 6 month quit working paid 1300.00 for sub paid 300.00 to fiix used for 1 day and never worked after .......junk

Submitted by flobee157 a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2008

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub (definitive pf15tl) from a stereo buff friend of mine a few years ago and have been pretty happy with its performance ever since. It has a well built/damped cabinet and a sufficient amplifier to power its hulking 15" driver.
The sub absolutely rocks with any kind of music or movie soundtrack you can throw at it.
Some will find it boomy especially when turned up approaching half volume or more which is simply overkill. I like bass more than most people and have a hard time turning it past one third anymore.
I feel it is more of a home theatre sub than a musical one since hearing a jl fathom f113 last year. this sub isnt nearly as effortlessly detailed or articulate as the jl sub costing something like 4 or 5 thousand. price wise a rather unfair comparison I suppose. That being said the definitive is still a very respectable sub in its price range and all around good value and perfomer.
It will be rockin away in my system untill I can find a jl fathom or a james emb for a good deal. maybe a REL t series or velodyne dd?
anyways this sub is far from being the weak link in my stereo/home theatre setup and will eventually be replaced with a sub 2 or 3 times its cost some time in the distant future.

Purchased At:   my buddy kurts house

Submitted by warviper1 a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2004

Bottom Line:
Had it for about a year good sound but problems over heating and had to have amp replaced and woofer replaced. Deftechs cs is top notch though so buy with confidence. I only had problems when pushing it not at actual listining levels.

Purchased At:   Ultimate

Submitted by Beezlebug Bob a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2002

Bottom Line:
This sub is perfect for anyone who wants the bass to sound similar to commercial theaters (well, it wouldn't fill that size room...but your living room is plenty). It does play down to 18 hz although some people don't believe it. I used a calibration CD that plays notes down to 10 hz (in 1 hz increments) from 40. It played down to 16 hz, but it was barely noticable. 18 hz was definetely quiter than even 20 hz, but it still played loud enough to hear.
Music wise, the sub is slightly boomy... It doesn't have the articulation of say the MII Sunfire subs, but it definetely sound very good for music.
In short, I HIGHLY recommend this sub to anyone who wants or needs a loud great sounding sub. It is comparable to four figure subs, at a decent price. And it was definetely better than i thought it would be. : )

Purchased At:   Soundtrack

Submitted by Greg Bright a Audiophile

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Bottom Line:
I bought this sub (PF-1500, not the newer TL), used several years ago. DefTech is notorious for not giving meaningful specs on their products and relying on "awards" in their ads. When I bought it, it was available for $1000, take it or leave it so I figured I made out pretty good as it was only 3 months old.

18 months ago I upgraded my main speakers from PhaseTech 730s to Infinity Overture 3s and also went Dolby Digital (Sony DB930). I used the pre-amp outs to the sub and ran the Infinitys full range. I always had trouble integrating the sub with the mains and thought that the sub was just too "Peaky" between 25Hz and 80Hz. Today I got a sound level meter and discovered that the Infinitys were more full-range than I thought and that the sub didn't need to be run much at all to become overpowering. So I switched the front setting on the receiver to "small". Wow, what a difference. My opinion of this sub has changed almost overnight. I did change the connection from pre-out to subwoofer, so now the receiver's internal crossovers are used. It is located in the right front corner of the room for maximum room loading, and it kicks! It does drop off quite a bit below 25Hz, and I need a notch filter to tame the worst peaks. But overall, I am (and generally have been) very pleased with its performance. The newer version is less expensive (competition is a wonderful thing) and probably better.

Purchased At:   Used