Definitive Technology ProSub 80
Description: ProCinema 80 System 8" Subwoofer with 250 watt RMS amplifier

Submitted by JD a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2012

Bottom Line:
First, purchased this unit at Goodwill for $20. Figured a 8" sub would be great for my living room to enjoy some deep rich bass while watching movies. Always wanted one. First sub ever for me. So I am very naive. I am looking for quality, constructive assistance or suggestions to help me solve a ongoing problem.

Hooked up sub to Dennon Dolby surround receiver that is worth about $300. Also have had it hooked up to Harmon Kardon and Sony. Each reciever I hook it up to I have selected to run speaker wire from receiver to sub and from sub to speakers. I have been careful to make sure its out to in and in to out, etc. Used 14 gauge radio shack speaker wire. Connected to 2 tower speakers. No center channel and no surround speakers yet.

1 problem, after about 30 min of good bass the sub begins to whine. Its subtle but enough to drive one crazy. So I turned it down and the frequency. Still the same issue. I suspect its a connection issue or that I am using wiring that is cheap or not right. The other issue might be the frequency settings. Another possibility could be a setting in the sub or reciever that isnt matching up right. Cross over setting??

I am sure that I can contact the local store that carries this product, but my fear is I will be given information that will support purchasing something either to expensive or that I dont need. I looked online for the manual and found a couple different items. They were slightly helpful, but still have that ugly buzz and whine sound. Wife wants me to throw the damn thing away. I still insist its a great sub, just a bad installer. Anyone care to provide some Sub/reciever 101 installation instructions I am all ears before this unit ends up in a dumpster from my wife! I am confident once hooked up properly that I will have one of the best purchases for $20 that I have ever come across. When it did work without the whine and hum it was awesome! Jurasic Park, Terminator, and music played awesome for about 30 minutes then the hum and buzz.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

I have this unit, 8 inch speaker measurement and 9.5" width of the cabinet.

Product model year:   2007

Submitted by Brent.n a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2008

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best deal I have ever gotten on an audio product. I purchased this sub at a local pawn shop 2 years ago for $10.00. I am not kidding, they thought that it was blown due to port noise, but I saw that they had it cranked way to high (for rap music nonetheless) and they offered to sell it to me for $10 bucks. I had done some research on DT products and had seen that this was a common problem for these little subs when used incorrectly. This sub blends perfectly with my system and I have never looked back since purchasing. Wonderful deep bass for movies, and tight clean bass for music (even rap when matched properly). Overall I love this sub and will probably be moving it into my bedroom soon, as I am getting ready to buy a DT Supercube III. System (Panasonic PT-52LCX35, Yamaha RX-V1700, Athena Technologies Audition Series AS-F2-1 fronts, Definitive Technologies BP6 bi-polar rears, Definitive Technologies Pro Sub 80

Purchased At:   Pawn Shop

Submitted by hollowbody a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2004

Bottom Line:
Just to quickly add on to what everyone else has said, I bought this sub over the 10" version Def Tech offered because when I auditioned it using bass-heavy music tracks such as Nine Inch Nails and Depeche Mode, I found the bass on the 8" MUCH tighter than on the 10", which sounded muddy by comparison. Yes, it was lounder, and a little deeper, but it was slower too, and less focused and articulate. I prefer music to movies, so a bigger sub might be better for those who need to fill their rooms with movie soundtracks, which use digitally generated bass that extends very low, down to below 20hz isn't uncommon, but movie bass tends to be explosions or other effects, which are not all that complicated to reproduce. For this reason, a 'slower' but more powerful and bigger sub may be more desirable, but to reproduce bass in music, not only is the note important, but the harmonics that surround it, and depth is not as important as timbre - remember, an electric bass' lowest note is 40hz. I would much rather buy two of these bad boys and have plenty of deep, tight and stereophonic (!) bass than a single 10" or 12".
One last thing. Get good interconnects for it. Currently I am using Monster's Interlink 200 with great results. Using cheapo connections will result in wonky sound and the sub will sound very underpowered. But remember, this is a sub, not a main speaker, so spending more than 50-75 dollars on the interconnect is unnecessary.

Purchased At:   Bay Bloor Radio

Submitted by siccivic a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
i have 3 of these ps80tl 8inchers for my center and rears and 2 ps200tl for the fronts and i believe my system sounds way better than some of those $20,000 systems but that's mine and my friends opinions.

Purchased At:   soundtrack

Submitted by Gombi a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2004

Bottom Line:
People, people stop saying that this sub does not sound like a 12 or a 15 inch one or like a 500 Watts powered sub. Def Tech never claimed that it will nor it could never do it even if they claimed it would so please stop the silly comparisons. Ok that been said, this is a great performer. I had the Bose Acoustimass with the three down-firing drivers and all I had was a popcorn machine instead of a sub woofer. I played the U-571 Depth Charge Scene on this little "Box of Wonder" and suddenly my ears were listening but more importantly my walls were trembling and my guts were wrenching (sorry for the details) but that is exactly what good bass response will do to you if you have it. I have read other reviews and I can tell that may be the placement is not appropriate, also check your settings. If your receiver already has a crossover set at 80 or 100hz then make sure that the dial on the back of sub is at 150 to avoid conflict. This Sub will give you the pounding of your life for just over $300.00 if you set it up correctly. Another thing, Sub Woofers not only work with movies but with stereo music as well. Just combine these Sub with any of the Def Tech's Power Monitors and what sounded like a cool,lively day at the lake turns into a wild ride in bass Hell these thing Rocks while the Power Monitors roll. Just give a try where it matters most at your home and play with it around the floor until you find its perfect spot. The rewards are amazing

Purchased At:   Pecar's