Dayton titanic Subwoofers

4.83/5 (12 Reviews)

12" Subwoofer. Made for home audio and car

Submitted by some guy a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2008

Bottom Line:
i bought the 12" titanic sub and the 250 watt amp with the separate volume and frequency adjustment that you mount to the front of the cabinet, with remote control. i also built my own 2.2 cubic foot cabinet to save a few bucks, i have built plenty of boxes before, but for the price of the complete kit from parts express i recommend you get the whole setup from them unless you have special needs. now pe offers the 12" titanic kit with the 500 watt amp, you lose the front mounted remote controlled adjustments, but the sub really needs that extra wattage for its full potential. my 250 watt amp does just fine, until you want really ground shaking super low end bass, then you can tell that the sub is still hungry for more, but it rarely becomes an issue with me. this setup goes down around 20 hz and can still make your vision blurr a bit when you crank it up. the bass disappears and blends nicely with my def tech bp8b's, especially with the remote controlled frequency adjustment, i couldnt ask for anything better for the price. i have heard plenty of subs before, but for this price range and the overall versatility of the dayton line of speakers in general, they cant be beat. if i wanted to equal the sound in this price range from a different company, i would have to buy a used b&w, velodyne or def tech off of ebay, maybe a dealer demo or something.

Purchased At:   parts express

Submitted by Bonger a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Bottom Line:
This is a review for the 10" MKIII sub.

Searching for a musical sub to match my Totem Arros. The Totems are known for their accuracy and I needed a fast and tight sub to keep up and most of all I was not willing to spend outrageous money for it.

I've owned various 8" to 12" subs. My 8" sub was tight and fast, but boomy and not deep and loud enough. The 10" inch I had was musical, but underpowered. My 12" was good for home theatre, but too slow.

So realized, I had to spend big bucks for a musical sub like "Rel" or...just build my own with quality parts.

After surfing around the net, I stumbled onto the idea of building your own sub. I am no handy man, but realize, most important component of a sub are design, cabinet, driver and amp and the Dayton subs seemed simple to assemble met my criteria.

Assembly was indeed easy and I tell you, it easily met my expectations and outperformed all my previous subs. It has all the strenths of my previous subs without it any major shortcomings. And once you factor in the price, this is a giant killer.

If I wanted to be critical, I can only say, cosmetics are a little generic and does not have "brand name".

In conclusion, this sub is highly recommended for anyone who doesn't mind doing a quick assembly and values build quality and a good price over typical mass marketed subs.

Sub is very good for price but not excellent, you will have to go to $1000+ for that.

Purchased At:   Partsexpress Ebay Au

Submitted by Mike a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Vance Dickason 10” Titanic II Subwoofer kit.

The assembly of the sub is actually quite fun, if you like that sort of thing. I applied some CAE acoustic dampening spray to the interior cabinet to reduce the chance of cabinet resonances. I'm not sure if it needed it or not because the enclosure seems well built with adequate bracing. Be careful when screwing the bolts into the T-nuts to secure the woofer, do not put any downward pressure when screwing in, let the threads do there thing. I had a T-nut come loose because, guess what..., I put too much downward pressure when screwing the bolt into the T-nut and ended up pushing the T-nut out of the enclosure. I fixed with a little creative caulking, and the reset of the install was a snap.

This sub works in conjunction with an ACI Titan II sub in a music/hometheater room. Having the variable phase and variable crossover point really helped in blending this sub into my system. I have this sub connected to an Anthem AVM 20 pre/pro via a do-it-yourself Belden 89259 coax with Cardas SLVR RCAs.

It took about 50 hours or break in time before the sub “came to life”. Do not judge this sub based on the first few hours of listening; allow it time to break in because it will sound different (i.e. better) after sufficient break in time.

This Dayton sub actually compares very favorably to my ACI Titan II. The Dayton sub is not quite as competent as the ACI Titan II in the music category, but is till OK for music use. Both subs are about neck-in-neck in hometheater performance. The Dayton sub produces deep, accurate bass at sufficient volumes. It’s not going to wake up your neighbors, but in a well balanced system (not you bass heads out there) the Dayton subwoofer is a very good performer. The Titan II cost three times as much as the Dayton, but by no means performs three times better.

This is a VERY good bargain! good output, decent accuracy, plenty of fine-tuning options on the amp. I’ve heard many subwoofers that cost more that do not perform as well as the Dayton sub, but have never heard a sub below $500 that sounds better.

Purchased At:   Part Express

Submitted by a Audio Enthusiast

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Mk II titanic 12" woofer. I used this driver in a 2.0 cubic foot enclosure running off of 280w from a QSC RMX 850 pro amp. This sub is currently being used for a LFE application in a customer's home theater.
Now that I got that off my chest, let me move on to the opinions. Amazing. Simply amazing! From 9' @ 280w this sub put out 112db at 15Hz! How many woofers can do that for this price? I personally broke this unit in using my own home theater and needless to say, I was amazed. The lows are clean and accurate and in all my moderate watching I never heard a sign of distortion or bottoming out. The very few affordable subs on the market today (sunfire, earthquake) cant touch this unit in price. This hits were clean and precise. Excellent driver

Purchased At:   Parts express

Submitted by a AudioPhile

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2003

Bottom Line:
I bought two of these woofers to add bottom end to my Dahlquist DQ-10s (they roll out fast below 50 hz), and because I wanted to have stereo bass response for my fave classical organ recordings.
I built two large bandpass enclosures measuring roughly 16"w x 21"d x 36" h (I did say large!) for these drivers in order for them to get deep bass (meaured low end cut off is around 17 hz in my room!). I power them with an SWR Stereo 800 power amp (400 Watts into the 1200's 4 ohm load) and can get near earthquake levels and REAL bass- not this jacked up car stereo crap!
These subs DO take a long time to break in properly. I heard some weird noises for the first few weeks and thought that I'd screwed up on the carpentry with these cabs! After about 35 hours of listening, they just seemed to gel into place, soundwise.
Anyone who has a complaint about the subs bottoming out while using less than 200w/pc is simply not giving them adequate power- its thier amp giving up trying! That 350 watt RMS handling rating is VERY conservative. Hint: I ran both subs in parallel for a short term with the SWR amp bridged out to over 900 watts and the only THEN did the subs start crying (and the nieghbours wanted to know who the drummer was I had over!)

Purchased At:   www.partsexpress.com

The Dark Knight to Break Titanic's All-Time Box Office Record? Merged

Theater owners must be having a celebratory drink or 30 right now. This weekend's domestic movie box office total was the highest ever, with $253 million in ticket sales. Obviously, [i]The Dark Knight[/i] led the way with a record breaking opening, but you also had [i]Mamma Mia![/i] opening strong ... Read More »

Trouble with a Dayton 15" Titanic MKlll sub

On another forum (avs) I recommended a Parts Express Dayton 15" Titanic MKIII. I have 2 of the Dayton 10" Titanic MKIII and they are terrifc subs. Thus my recommendation for the 15". The guy only has a 14' X 14' room, and claimes that his output is very low, which I find hard to believe May ... Read More »

My Titanic is dead

I was playing some tunes in my bedroom and noticed a lack of bass. Went over to my 10" Titanic and no sound was playing from it. I checked the power led and it was lit green. I checked the settings on back of the sub and the setting on my Onkyo and everything was fine. I tried to play test tones and ... Read More »

Thinking of adding a Titanic 15 to an existing enclosure

A couple of years ago I built a DIY subwoofer with an Adire Tempest and two PR15 passives. It was their SBB4 alignment from their website. Recently I noticed that my dog had gotten to the surround on the driver bottom mounted. I did some modeling using WinISD comparing the Tempest with the Dayton ... Read More »

Dayton Titanic Sub Kits on Sale

Thought I'd post this just in case someone was on the fence or something. I got my 15" for only $588 but this sale is still pretty good. Here are sale prices: 10" $315.00 12" $470.00 15" $610.00 [URL="http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&CAT_ID=48&ObjectGroup_ID=536"]http: ... Read More »